IGNORED

Steve Phillips

Guest Dwarfster

Guest Dwarfster

Afternoon one and all. As you may or may not be aware, there's plenty of speculation about Steve Phillips joining us for next season. Can someone please give there honest opinion as to the ability of the guy? Can any of you also put any truth to the rumours or just go ahead and positively dispell them altogether?

Cheers for your time.

A good shot stopper who's nickname should be dracula rather than Flapper. The reaction of players to his instructions and suggestions of how they should have defended a particular situation, suggests that they have little or no respect for him or his opinion.

I would say the only thing the Gas have to entice him with is their proximity. If Cheltenham are promoted or Yeovil become interested, I think he would consider himself better than basement league.

To be honest, I can't believe you haven't read any of the threads on this subject. However, for what it's worth, I agree with Hornbeam.

He is/was good enough for this division and he is/was a good shot stopper but his ability to deal with crosses is poor as is his kicking.

I wonder how many posts it will take before someone tells you had how bad Basso is instead.

:farmer:

If he goes to you he will be easily one of the best keepers in League two, he's a vast improvement on Shearer.

Superb shot stopper, good at rushing out, decent positioning and kicking and distribution nowadays. Crap in the air, moans at his defence, thinks he's god.

Doubt very much he's signing for you though, he's said clearly in recent weeks that there's no chance of it.

Edit: His kicking was terrible earlier in his career, over the last couple of seasons it's been dramatically better and is far superior to Basso's.

• Admin
Afternoon one and all. As you may or may not be aware, there's plenty of speculation about Steve Phillips joining us for next season. Can someone please give there honest opinion as to the ability of the guy? Can any of you also put any truth to the rumours or just go ahead and positively dispell them altogether?

Cheers for your time.

When asked two weeks ago, he denied that he is to join the gas.

Guest Eamer

In my opinion the best Goalkeeper we currently have at the club. Could improve, get involved more, shout, go for crosses but otherwise a great Goalkeeper. As others said though, bad attitude when things aren't the way he wants them.

Guest Ivan_is_a_legend

Cheers for your time.

i can tell you all now phillips has agreed a deal to join the sags.

my mate was at the gwr vs legends game yesterday played at the mem, and he 'spoke' to a few people. appartenly a deal was sealed last night.

i know people will question this and if it proves to be wrong, i apologise and will have a little word with my mate.

i can tell you all now phillips has agreed a deal to join the sags.

my mate was at the gwr vs legends game yesterday played at the mem, and he 'spoke' to a few people. appartenly a deal was sealed last night.

i know people will question this and if it proves to be wrong, i apologise and will have a little word with my mate.

It's pretty believable, especially as Wilson has left Mk.

What ambition eh?

It would be strange if that rumour were true, because if he's talked to the gas then they have to have agreed a fee with City. If they had I'm sure we'd hear about it - to bring out of the woodwork any other interested teams.

On his day he is a good keeper, especially shot stopping. However his reaction when he was dropped stank, he threw all his toys out of his pram. He has saved us many a game, however he has made a few errors which have ended up costing us a few too.

2 seasons ago he was the best keeper in our league, but it's now time to move on.........

Excellent shot stopper but can also be described as a bit of a "liner" which can be a problem if you do not have a couple of 6'4" Centre Halfs in your back four. Will no doubt be one of the best goalkeepers in Division 4 and was named by his fellow pro's in the Division 3 PFA team a couple of years back.

However the 150 game unchallenged run ultimately appeared to have caused him to lose his edge and go stale which resulted in a number of errors and loss of confidence. Coupled with his totally unprofessional actions that followed being dropped it is clearly best for all parties that Phillips moves on. He will do a good job for Rovers or any other Fourth Division side, no doubt. I would not be surprised if interest follows from a few third division clubs (Port Vale, the ex City players graveyard perhaps!!) so don't count your chickens yet.

Guest chris84

a friend of mine is involved with rovers said he seen steve phillips with lennie lawrence at the training ground yesterday. so looks like hes heading there

Cheers for your time.

Be honest mate, he is quality, far better than Basso and when you get him you will all be very very happy.

don't forget thou on the odd occasion he under performs no sh...ithead stuff. Give him a chance.

Me I'm gutted

Guest bazzas an insult

It's looking like he's going to the other Rovers then. And I'm not referring to Blackburn.

Raith?

Would be a great addition to any squad in our division or the one below.Never the root cause of the teams failings over a series of seasons,he is simply caught up in the classic "out of favour" routine.

More than likely will rejoin us in a few seasons & could well end up being the clubs goalkeeping coach one day.

Archived