IGNORED

Watford.. Now Wigan

Guest Spike

Has anyone noticed how when we lost out to Watford for the Division 2 title they went on to get promoted into the Premiership and as things are going so far Wigan are searching for a spot in the Premiership too after winning the title last season.

What do you think Citys chances are of placing that high in the first Division if we win the league this season?

Guest Cider Red Sam

No chance. It would be nice but its never going to happen. I'd settle for staying up. The only reason Wigan are right up there is becuse of the money they have got (once the money runs out they'll plumet back down to the third division, where they belong, along with Cardiff), and the main reason Watford went up, well, I don't have a clue how they did it! But no, the highest I think we could hope for would be mid-table, at the very most

good point but still very nervous about going up this year but when the season has ended, we will be able to debate about it all over the summer!!

(IF we go up) then, I think we have a fair chance this time, Danny will be right for div 1 and we will not allow the defence to be neglected as before (which was the boards fault, not John Wards).

I can see us getting a play off place if we get a goal scoring midfielder and replace peacock (who will be out of contract with a top notch striker).. now theres a remark to stir up a debate - replacing our top scorer!! who is also working his socks off this season, I just cannot see him making it in div 1.

but what do i know!

With this team, we will be at best a mid table side. Some of the finishing by some of Div 2 sides is ####, or we would have been punished this season, even during our good run.

We wont get the let offs next season, and wasting chances we get will be punished as well.

We will survive in Div 1, once there, but play offs, nah, dont think so, not without a few additions which we will not be able to afford for a couple of years.

reckon we'll do ok

Are we better than Crewe, Reading, Cardiff who've all been recently promoted and are doing fine? I think we're on a par with those teams. Wigan are another case though - they were exceptional in our league, clearly better than the other teams.

mid table - play offs?!

I would be happy to get there first, then stay up!!

Think we need to saty in the first for a few seasons before challenging the playoffs, think we are better than Crewe, but not as financially secure as Reading and the Cardiffs with their sugar daddies..

Would prefer to get there our way, even if it takes longer than the Portsmouth/Cardiff route...

Thats my opinion anyway!

mid table - play offs?!

I would be happy to get there first, then stay up!!

You're right, it's one thing to be optimistic - which is what I am - but at the moment the extent of my optimism is that I hope we'll win automatic promotion and *hopefully* the championship. We still have a long way to go to achieve either of these and when people start assuming it's in the bag and making predictions for next season is when I start to get nervous!

Fans of ALL teams would do well to remember you're only as good as your last result. Yet people constantly get carried away with bold declarations about what their club is going to do, more often than not ending up with copious egg on face and looking a bit of a ######. It happened with Plymouth & QPR fans a few weeks back when they thought they had it sewn up between them and now, unfortunately, it seems to be our turn to stick our necks on the block. When will people ever learn? :cool:

Guest yeovilmac
You're right, it's one thing to be optimistic - which is what I am - but at the moment the extent of my optimism is that I hope we'll win automatic promotion and *hopefully* the championship. We still have a long way to go to achieve either of these and when people start assuming it's in the bag and making predictions for next season is when I start to get nervous!

Fans of ALL teams would do well to remember you're only as good as your last result. Yet people constantly get carried away with bold declarations about what their club is going to do, more often than not ending up with copious egg on face and looking a bit of a ######. It happened with Plymouth & QPR fans a few weeks back when they thought they had it sewn up between them and now, unfortunately, it seems to be our turn to stick our necks on the block. When will people ever learn?  :cool:

:o hi all

Congrats on a fantastic run - here's hoping it goes on for a few weeks yet.

Thats a good point about not being carried away. I refused to believe we were champions last season until it was mathematically certain. At one point, we were 21 points clear with seven games left and a vastly superior goal difference but I still refused to believe it, even though we were scoring for fun.

Enjoy it while it lasts, but PLEASE don't count your ##***ens before they h***h. The blue half of the city will laugh their a***s off.

Best wishes

Martin

P.S. HI to Stucider and EDR - LEGENDS!!

:cool: hi all

Congrats on a fantastic run - here's hoping it goes on for a few weeks yet.

Thats a good point about not being carried away. I refused to believe we were champions last season until it was mathematically certain. At one point, we were 21 points clear with seven games left and a vastly superior goal difference but I still refused to believe it, even though we were scoring for fun.

Enjoy it while it lasts, but PLEASE don't count your ##***ens before they h***h. The blue half of the city will laugh their a***s off.

Best wishes

Martin

P.S. HI to Stucider and EDR - LEGENDS!!

Thanks Mac and good luck to YT.

So you see, optimism and realism CAN go hand in hand! I'm as excited as anyone about this run, but let's keep it real huh? After all, are we not Bristol City? Have we not learned over the years to take nothing for granted, EVER?!

I'd like to see a period of stability in division 1 should we get there, building up for a go at the premiership. Look at how many teams have got there only to get severely burned in tryin to compete with the big boys? Bradford I hear are about to go into administration AGAIN. they are paying severely for their 2 years in the prem, aren't they? I sometimes wonder if it is worth while when you see Derby and Wimbledon and Watford struggling after their spells.

I'd rather city remain outside the Prem and financially secure rather than go up for 1 season and fall apart.

The way the board are managing this club is the right way. If we went up, we would aim to establish ourselves first (as Steve has mentioned several times, mistakes were made last time and we're still paying for them). This could take a couple of seasons or even longer, but the worst thing we could do is make a hash of it and go down. I would prefer to watch mid-season football for a few years then worry about a relegation battle.

Mind you, you know what they say about supporting City.... it's never easy on the heart, we're always at one end of the table or the other doing something to lead us all to an early coronary! :cool:

Archived