IGNORED

Danny Wilson

Red Robin

When you think where the guy was ten years ago he was one of the most highly rated young managers going places.

When you think he had a rough deal at Sheff Weds,We got him, which at the time was a cracking capture.

Then when the club parted after the huge balls up at the millstad,he really has only gone one way and that is backward.

No disrespect to MK Dons or Hartlepool but is a far cry from where he once was.

Having got Barnsley into the Prem caught Sheff Weds attention. After a few years there even their local MP was demanding his sacking. When City signed him as you say "We got him, which at the time was a cracking capture". I remember hearing an Owls fan on the 606 rant line saying DW had ruined that club and he ended by stating " Bristol City; you're welcome to him".

If Hartlepool can keep their squad together then you have got to fancy them for a quick return to Coca Cola Division 1 as DW will have a good set of players to work with unlike Franchise FC where they only had 1 decent player (McLeod). It may take them a season to re-adjust though.

BCAGFC

Guest Poolie_Girl

Having got Barnsley into the Prem caught Sheff Weds attention. After a few years there even their local MP was demanding his sacking. When City signed him as you say "We got him, which at the time was a cracking capture". I remember hearing an Owls fan on the 606 rant line saying DW had ruined that club and he ended by stating " Bristol City; you're welcome to him".

What are we going to get with Danny Wilson in charge then? To be honest, its the first time in years we have hired a known manager so it came as a bit of a shock really.

Pools fans are generally pleased with his appointment, myself included, but you are the people who will know what he is about so any info would be greatly appreciated. I did read somewhere that he was a little too slow to give youths a chance, our club is built around having a strong youth setup so that could cause a bit of a clash. Potentially, we have a good squad as we have only lost one player since we got to Cardiff and having our top two strikers out for most of last season, and a manager who just wasnt good enough, cost us dearly. With the right motivation a lot of Pools fans are optimistic about our chances next season, could Wilson be the man to motivate these players?

One thing he did mention in his first interview was that there was one or two players he wanted to take away from our club in the past if he had had the money to do so and I remember Mickey Nelson being linked with you guys a lot so I presume that would be who he is talking about?

If Hartlepool can keep their squad together then you have got to fancy them for a quick return to Coca Cola Division 1 as DW will have a good set of players to work with unlike Franchise FC where they only had 1 decent player (McLeod). It may take them a season to re-adjust though.

BCAGFC

Thats what we're hoping really. As I said in my other post, we have lost just one player since Cardiff and rest of the squad is still under contract thankfully. We used to be known as a selling club but IOR since they took over have resisted many attempts to sell off our star players and publically stated at the end of last season that our players are not open to offers. Wilson said in his first interview that he has been told no one is leaving so all the sounds coming from the club are positive, if we can get off to a flyer next season then hopefully we can be in for a good one.

I would say the team you will get under DW will be based around a hard working team with a strong defence.

When DW was in charge here, I think he was quite liked by the vast majority of fans here, as we were always there abouts come the end of the season, he just couldnt quite get there in the end.

He can be pretty negative, so don't go expecting a full on attacking team, but as the old adage goes, you don't lose football matches if you don't concede goals.

If you manage to get to the playoff final next season, just don't expect to win, if he's in charge.

He does tend to like more experienced players playing, but he did bring a few young uns through for us, so I wouldnt worry too much about that side of things.

I wish you guys well next season, especially against the filth that is Bristol Rovers, but with Porter in your side you should have a decent chance of promotion.

personaly i think that wilson was a great manager and if we had kept him another year i think we would have got promoted. wilsons problem at times is that he is to cautious and defends to much, you can also expect a very fit team that works hard with wilson.

i also don't know where this has come from that he does not give youth a chance because in his teams he had alot of players that came through youth ranks and were quite young, like matt hill, danny coles, clayton fortune, joe burnell and others, but in the last year or 2 at the club he didnt bring anymore in to the team but that was because they were not as good as the current team.

good luck to wilson and to hartlepool

What are we going to get with Danny Wilson in charge then? To be honest, its the first time in years we have hired a known manager so it came as a bit of a shock really.

Pools fans are generally pleased with his appointment, myself included, but you are the people who will know what he is about so any info would be greatly appreciated. I did read somewhere that he was a little too slow to give youths a chance, our club is built around having a strong youth setup so that could cause a bit of a clash. Potentially, we have a good squad as we have only lost one player since we got to Cardiff and having our top two strikers out for most of last season, and a manager who just wasnt good enough, cost us dearly. With the right motivation a lot of Pools fans are optimistic about our chances next season, could Wilson be the man to motivate these players?

One thing he did mention in his first interview was that there was one or two players he wanted to take away from our club in the past if he had had the money to do so and I remember Mickey Nelson being linked with you guys a lot so I presume that would be who he is talking about?

Thats what we're hoping really. As I said in my other post, we have lost just one player since Cardiff and rest of the squad is still under contract thankfully. We used to be known as a selling club but IOR since they took over have resisted many attempts to sell off our star players and publically stated at the end of last season that our players are not open to offers. Wilson said in his first interview that he has been told no one is leaving so all the sounds coming from the club are positive, if we can get off to a flyer next season then hopefully we can be in for a good one.

God help ya!! Three times HIS teams blew promotion fer us, and who can forget the "Defeat is not Failure" kack after the Pray off final, you know the one we were lucky to get to................

I work wi Dongs fans and they have the same high opinion.

Stubbornly picks favorites, baffling substitutions, sheds of money spent (here anyway) baffling tactics...

Personally, I reckon he'll kill what should be quite a good chance of bouncing back, meself. Doubtless others will disagree.

Anyways, it'll stop the numpty known as Jewell gobbin off too much on Rivals..after her urine extraction of us a coupla years back.

Good luck you will NEED it wi Wonderson, leaning on the dugout! Do tank the Sags, Swindlers and the Dung on the way oop!!

Danny always seemed a nice bloke. But...

He had his critics and for me it was the right time for him to go when he left. We too were excited and hopefull when he first came here as we had several bad years and bad experiences with managers.

Danny gave us stability and took us forward. He did seem to favour some players and frustrate us when others weren't given a go, he seem to favour playing an out of form injured player when his replacement wasn't given a look in.

My own opinion is that although I'm sure he cared he seldom showed it. We are passionate about our club (as all fans are) and to me this was just a job as far as he was concerned. He used to lean against the dug out, very calmly and almost looked bored at times. He also has a set of one liners he used to give out after we had lost 'credit to the opposition' etc and shrug things off, like they didn't really matter to him. You almost knew what he would say before he said it. the infamous 'defeat isn't failure' quote or misquote after the playoff defeat against Brighton was his downfall.

He also seems to do better when his worked with frank barlow as his assistant, i believe he is at forest now (?), didn't do so well without him at MK Dons. Also he likes to have an expensive sports phycologist, his friend Brian Jones with him. I believe he had to make some cuts, Jones being one of them, when we failed to get promotion. He refused to work with these cuts, I think.

Also another thing fans didn't like was the fact he continued to live in Chesterfield (?) and commute to Bristol rather than live here, although again i believe he did have a flat here.

He did like to spend out on players, so if you have money, can take his 'cool' attitude he will do well for you.

personally i was sad it didn't work out with martin scott for you, i liked him as a player here. and before that thought him and Neale cooper made a good team, so hell what do i know! :D

Good luck, I'll be watching with interest!

EDIT: Message to Bucks: You've put almost the same as me only so much better, i didn't copy honest, i'm just such a slow typer! :D

Danny always seemed a nice bloke. But...

He had his critics and for me it was the right time for him to go when he left. We too were excited and hopefull when he first came here as we had several bad years and bad experiences with managers.

Danny gave us stability and took us forward. He did seem to favour some players and frustrate us when others weren't given a go, he seem to favour playing an out of form injured player when his replacement wasn't given a look in.

My own opinion is that although I'm sure he cared he seldom showed it. We are passionate about our club (as all fans are) and to me this was just a job as far as he was concerned. He used to lean against the dug out, very calmly and almost looked bored at times. He also has a set of one liners he used to give out after we had lost 'credit to the opposition' etc and shrug things off, like they didn't really matter to him. You almost knew what he would say before he said it. the infamous 'defeat isn't failure' quote or misquote after the playoff defeat against Brighton was his downfall.

He also seems to do better when his worked with frank barlow as his assistant, i believe he is at forest now (?), didn't do so well without him at MK Dons. Also he likes to have an expensive sports phycologist, his friend Brian Jones with him. I believe he had to make some cuts, Jones being one of them, when we failed to get promotion. He refused to work with these cuts, I think.

Also another thing fans didn't like was the fact he continued to live in Chesterfield (?) and commute to Bristol rather than live here, although again i believe he did have a flat here.

He did like to spend out on players, so if you have money, can take his 'cool' attitude he will do well for you.

personally i was sad it didn't work out with martin scott for you, i liked him as a player here. and before that thought him and Neale cooper made a good team, so hell what do i know! :D

Good luck, I'll be watching with interest!

EDIT: Message to Bucks: You've put almost the same as me only so much better, i didn't copy honest, i'm just such a slow typer! :D

Em, you put it a hell of a lot politer than I do-its a skill I never did learn!! :rolleyes::laugh:

Guest Poolie_Girl

If you manage to get to the playoff final next season, just don't expect to win, if he's in charge.

Well no worries there, we have somewhat a bad reputation with playoffs. In the last 7 years we have been in the playoffs five times and only made the finals once and the less said about the refereeing on display that day the better!

RedM mentioned that wilson gave stability and took you forward, well stability above anything else is what we need now as after the years of success we have had we don't want the decline of last season to continue.

Your comments about him looking bored in the dugout will be a little concern for Pools fans mind you. We had Mike Newell in charge for the back half of the season we got promoted and for all he got us promoted the fans took a dislike to him as he showed no emotion what so ever. I liked Newell a lot and was sad to see him go so I for one am pleased to see him doing well with Luton. To be honest Poolies can probably take some credit for him getting the Luton job. They had an online pole of who the Hatters wanted as their next manager so the Pools fans decided to pick a day and start voting on him and he shot up the rankings to top position within hours!

We are not a rich club by any means hence the reason we put a lot of effort into brining the youths through, the YTS scheme is a lifeline for clubs like Pools. Saying that though, IOR have in the past given good finanacial backing to managers if they believe it is needed so he is not working on a shoestring.

Cooper was a cracking manager for getting results on the pitch but alledgedly there was way too much going wrong off it for us to keep him here, you don't sack a manager one game before the end of the season and a possible 5th playoff attempt without a very good reason for doing so. Scotty was the fans choice and most couldn't have been happier when he got the job but it became aparent that he couldnt hack it. He was given more financial backing than any manager and the biggest squad in our history but the team was never the same from one week to the next and this squad who had been together for about 5 years looked like they had never seen eachother before. I do feel that if we had had Boyd and Porter fit for the season things would have been a lot different, you cant take 50 goals out of the side without it hurting you. Considering 1 more win would have made us safe I can't see how we wouldn't have got that with a proper strike force and or even just a little less chopping and changing.

Thanks for your comments everyone; most encouraging, some need a bit of thought but nothing terrible really which is a relief. Hearing he has hard working sides that defend well without the gung ho attitude is much better than my worry over hearing he was a long ball style manager!

Well no worries there, we have somewhat a bad reputation with playoffs. In the last 7 years we have been in the playoffs five times and only made the finals once and the less said about the refereeing on display that day the better!

RedM mentioned that wilson gave stability and took you forward, well stability above anything else is what we need now as after the years of success we have had we don't want the decline of last season to continue.

Your comments about him looking bored in the dugout will be a little concern for Pools fans mind you. We had Mike Newell in charge for the back half of the season we got promoted and for all he got us promoted the fans took a dislike to him as he showed no emotion what so ever. I liked Newell a lot and was sad to see him go so I for one am pleased to see him doing well with Luton. To be honest Poolies can probably take some credit for him getting the Luton job. They had an online pole of who the Hatters wanted as their next manager so the Pools fans decided to pick a day and start voting on him and he shot up the rankings to top position within hours!

We are not a rich club by any means hence the reason we put a lot of effort into brining the youths through, the YTS scheme is a lifeline for clubs like Pools. Saying that though, IOR have in the past given good finanacial backing to managers if they believe it is needed so he is not working on a shoestring.

Cooper was a cracking manager for getting results on the pitch but alledgedly there was way too much going wrong off it for us to keep him here, you don't sack a manager one game before the end of the season and a possible 5th playoff attempt without a very good reason for doing so. Scotty was the fans choice and most couldn't have been happier when he got the job but it became aparent that he couldnt hack it. He was given more financial backing than any manager and the biggest squad in our history but the team was never the same from one week to the next and this squad who had been together for about 5 years looked like they had never seen eachother before. I do feel that if we had had Boyd and Porter fit for the season things would have been a lot different, you cant take 50 goals out of the side without it hurting you. Considering 1 more win would have made us safe I can't see how we wouldn't have got that with a proper strike force and or even just a little less chopping and changing.

Thanks for your comments everyone; most encouraging, some need a bit of thought but nothing terrible really which is a relief. Hearing he has hard working sides that defend well without the gung ho attitude is much better than my worry over hearing he was a long ball style manager!

DW was a nearly man at AG never quite doing the business,however he seems to have gone backwards more often than forwards over the last few years.

He did a fantastic job for us. He took over after the Manager of Mass Destruction that was Pulis, and the slightly surreal 'Gang of 3'. He did a good job of rebuilding the side around a core of good youngsters, and once they matured, we became a very good side, and at times, very entertaining. The first play-Off failure was unfortunate as we came across a quality Cardiff side who had spent big. The main blot was his last season where he adopted a cautious approach (Trying to emulate Wigan) and we drew a number of home games where we gave the opposition too much respect. Much as I liked Wilson, the Play-Off Final v Brighton was a disaster, and inexcusable, and it is sad that this one game is more remembered than all of the good times.

Good luck to him at Hartlepool!

Guest rod12

When you think where the guy was ten years ago he was one of the most highly rated young managers going places.

When you think he had a rough deal at Sheff Weds,We got him, which at the time was a cracking capture.

Then when the club parted after the huge balls up at the millstad,he really has only gone one way and that is backward.

No disrespect to MK Dons or Hartlepool but is a far cry from where he once was.

Sorry you lot but whatever his faults.................... Wilson got Barnsley - unfashionable, no big gates, not a lot of money to spend - into the Premiership !

OK they may have come straight back down but whichever way you look at it that is a fantastic achievement which has not been equalled by any of the current crop of much admired football league managers.

He also got us ( BCFC that is ) into the playoffs more than once. GJ has yet to do that.

I am not saying whether he is good or bad but his record is the best Bristol City have had in many years, so don't knock him !

Sorry you lot but whatever his faults.................... Wilson got Barnsley - unfashionable, no big gates, not a lot of money to spend - into the Premiership !

OK they may have come straight back down but whichever way you look at it that is a fantastic achievement which has not been equalled by any of the current crop of much admired football league managers.

He also got us ( BCFC that is ) into the playoffs more than once. GJ has yet to do that.

I am not saying whether he is good or bad but his record is the best Bristol City have had in many years, so don't knock him !

GJ got Yeovil into the league and then to promotion and is far more fan friendly than the arrogant Wilson, Don't miss him at all.

Guest rod12

GJ got Yeovil into the league and then to promotion and is far more fan friendly than the arrogant Wilson, Don't miss him at all.

Yes but I support Bristol City not Yeovil !

I'll agree with most of the points above. The one thing that stands out as DW's very worst attribute was his ability to turn a radio interview into a lesson in grinding the opposition down with verbal attrition.

He never said anything remotely exciting (either positive or negative). It's a good way to keep a job (because you never say anything controversal about anyone regardless of the match result) but from a fan's perspective, it is tiresome.

That said, Tony Pulis was worse - at least you won't be getting him (ha ha Stoke).

I was happy to have DW managing Bristol City most of the time but I would have enjoyed it more if he could have learnt a lesson from Ian Holloway in terms of 'interesting' interviews!! Then I would have listened beyond the first five words......

Xiled.

ignore some of the crap you read on here ( the same posters rubbish GJ in the same way), DW gave us some very good times that the majority of fans enjoyed. Its a shame that we didnt win automatic promotion under him because I'm sure he had the nouse to take us further. He is a good manager, likes to build from the back and play good football. He can be cautious at times, but that no different to most good managers.

Good times ahead for the Pool.

Here here. Pity the board forked up by putting Tinnion in charge first. Defeat is not Failure my forkin @rse!

Note to grenadared, I don't slag GJ. A point to note, please.

I've never rubbished Gary Johnson as Gary Johnson has achieved in 9 months what Danny Wilson failed to achieve in 4 seasons - i.e. an assault on the drink culture that has blighted this club since John Ward was sacked. Make no mistake - this club stagnated under Danny Wilson. Even with the massive resources at Wilson's disposal - a decent squad, an academy, money for transfers compared with rivals - and Danny Wilson still underachieved.

Here Here Gobbo, I maintain that if we sacked Wonderson AFTER the Wycombe away debacle, we could well have been promoted. We didnt, and here we STILL bloody are!!!!!!

thats "Granadared" to you son . Grenadared is someone else , on a different continent!

Sorry fer that. And I'm probably close to your age if not older...so its nae son!! :whistle:

Here Here Gobbo, I maintain that if we sacked Wonderson AFTER the Wycombe away debacle, we could well have been promoted. We didnt, and here we STILL bloody are!!!!!!

You'd have waited that long? I'd have given him his marching orders after the thrashing at Blackpool in his second failed season.

When I think of Wilson my abiding memories are of him leaning against that damn dugout and staring blankly into space. Meanwhile on the pitch we're getting nowhere as Lee Peacock gives away yet another free kick and we stumble to defeats to Wycombe, Colchester, etc....

Archived