IGNORED

Wednesday Confident

Ian M

Perhaps I'm being too pessimistic but I wouldn't pay too much attention to last night's result.

Wednesday have started to improve in the league and should not be underestimated.

The impression I get from reading the forum is that we only have to turn up to win. In reality I think it will be different to that.

Wilson and his team have got a big job to do before Saturday. They need to ensure that the team is totally focussed on the game and they must not get complacent.

• Admin
Perhaps I'm being too pessimistic but I wouldn't pay too much attention to last night's result.

Wednesday have started to improve in the league and should not be underestimated.

The impression I get from reading the forum is that we only have to turn up to win.  In reality I think it will be different to that. 

Wilson and his team have got a big job to do before Saturday.  They need to ensure that the team is totally focussed on the game and they must not get complacent.

Maybe the fact that their strike partnership of Olsen/Shaw have racked up an amazing 5 appearances between them is worth worrying about. Well, until Olsen got injured last night that is.

Guest Ricky BCFC
If that "tool" of a referee assigned to the game performs to the depth of his ability then Wednesday will win.
Won't they be thinking the same thing though?

Just because he looks like a dodgy ref, doesn't nessicarily mean it's us he'll be biased against. :D

Guest december 1963

We've only ever won twice at Hillsborough but I am just about old enough to remember the last time. It was a gloriously sunny August day on a caravan site near Lands End. It was only the third year of me regularly going to home games. I had neither the money nor the transport to go to away games. Away matches were at places where my team did strange and different things (lost heavily mostly) to the team I saw at Ashton Gate. A good year was when we won more than one away game in a season. I switched on the radio to hear Sheffield Weds 0 Bristol City 3 and that was only half time. I was convinced that the newsreader had read the score out wrong. But at full time we had won 5-1 - it was the most astonishing result I had ever experienced with my beloved City at that time. Is there anyone on the forum who actually went or remembers the game ? I think it would have been August 1971 at a guess.

In reply to Dec 63, I didn't go, but do remember that game. 2nd match of the season and when we heard Weds 0, City 3, we thought "not again". The previous year City had been 3-0 up at half time at Sheff Utd, but ended up drawing 3-3. Galley got three of those goals at H'boro' and they only got one right at the end when Cashley and a defender both stopped expecting the other to deal with a ball. In the Green Un it was reported some of the players also thought "not again"! Afterwards, one SW fan was seen to throw his brand new season ticket away in disgust.

Is there anyone on the forum who actually went or remembers the game ? I think it would have been August 1971 at a guess.

I wasn't at the game Dec '63. I didn't start supporting City until the age of 7. March '75 to be precise.

Mind you, I have got the next best thing, an extract from David Woods, "Bristol City - The Modern Era".

Date: 21st August 1971

Attendance: 12,724

Scorers & Times

Sheffield Wednesday 1 Prendergast 89

Bristol City 5 Galley 12, 26, 65 Emanuel 37 Garland 63

Galley sparks off City's biggest away win for five years when finishing off a four-man move with a shot into the top corner. A brilliant , display against mediocre opponents whose only consolation is a strike at the death, when Mike Prendergast heads in from Keith Burton's centre.

It'll be a 1-0 late winner, for us, if their strike force is as bad as they say. It would be a damn good time for our illustrious No 9 to get a few-Leapy y'all listening??

gotta draw their sting early, and keep focused at the back, no ######* passing, and clearing set pieces without ##*** around! Take the chances which we get too, which is my biggest worry :D

Guest bemmyred

I was at that 5-1 game in 1971 . City had drawn with Millwall 3-3 on the opening day of the season at AG , Ray Cashleys debut and let a tame shot roll through his legs.

Wednesday had been relegated from the old Div 1, Derek Dooley was the manager, I was 11 and the first time I had seen an electronic scoreboard at the back of their kop end ( open terracing then).

At one point it read OWLS 0 CITY 5 , with the numbers of the City scorers underneath :- 9,9,4,8,9, ( GALLEY, GALLEY, EMMANUEL, GARLAND, GALLEY), before they scored a consolation goal in injury time.

Chris Garlands goal was a brilliant individual effort, beating 3 players from the half way line before rounding the keeper and rolling the ball into the empty net.

He left the field with an injury near the end after running the show and was given a standing ovation by everyone, he was even applauded off by the referee Gordon Hill, probably one of the best refs ever, a sight I will never forget .

Same again on Saturday please !!

Archived