IGNORED

City Fans Everywhere

Guest GUERNSEY TAFFY RED

Guest GUERNSEY TAFFY RED

Just come back from a two week visit to the good old US of A and was suprised how well known City are amongst the yanks. Was on the Navy Pier in Chicago wearing my City top when this guy came straight up to me and shouted out Bristol City, apparently has been a follower since since seeing City on Fox, told me it was cooler to support a team from the lower leagues than to be a glory hunter following the likes of manure and others.

Walking down the strip in Las Vegas and the same thing happened again, however the guy was a QPR fan and although a yank, recognised the kit straight away.

Finally in New York, went into foot locker in Times Square and the sales assistant commented on my top, recognising it as a city top straight away.

Anyone else had the same experience and which countries have you been noticed as a City fan by locals.

Guest RSG3191

I went to New York last month and due to the sub-zero temperatures, I had my City hat and scarf on. I must of had 5 or 6 people on seperate occasions speak to me about City.

They knew a lot of the players, knew what league we were in. These people were American through and through. So, you are right, City are more popular than we think.

Guest cider gliders
Amazing, if only we could get a few more Bristolians interested  :cool:
Yeah just about sums it up dunnit!

We can tell you at first hand, they

know the shirt in Auz! :D

Yeah just about sums it up dunnit!

We can tell you at first hand, they

know the shirt in Auz!  :cool:

They do now in the sunny climes of the Indian Ocean too after my hols this month! Wore my Tinnion t-shirt and got loads of comments. So people in Sri Lanka and the Maldives know Bristol City and Brian Tinnion :D

I run into City fans in Seattle every once in awhile a few guys who worked on the Concorde moved here to work for Boeing so there is a natural connection there.

Many people reconize the kit though, run into a couple Rovers fans last year at a baseball game in rovers kit (hahaha) A regular at the "soccer" bar is a Luton fan.

Guest Eddie Hitler

Not quite the same but when I was at uni I was regarded as a bit of an eccentric for supporting a little club like Brizzle. There weren't any others there (well, one who said he had been a City fanat school ?Chew Valley as anybody who wasn't a City fan there used to get beaten up :cool: )

Took some mates down to Newquay on the p*ss and was wearing my CIty shirt. They could not believe the number of fans of this "little" club that came up for a chat. The mickey-taking dried up a lot after that.

Guest Harry May

Was in Wilmington , North Carolina a few years back - had one of the "Lotto " tops on - the porter in the hotel recognised it . His Dad was stationed at RAF Fairford and knew of the "famous" Cider from the West Country and the equally famous Bristol City.

Caldicot Red.

Was in Wilmington , North Carolina a few years back - had one of the "Lotto " tops on - the porter in the hotel recognised it . His Dad was stationed at RAF Fairford and knew of the "famous" Cider from the West Country and the equally famous Bristol City.

Caldicot Red.

Well, I can tell you that here no one has a fvcking clue who Bristol City are.

All over Scandinavia. Even in a MacDonalds where the people struggle to speak English (the only Scandinavians that do), one person said to me 'Ah I Prefer the Gas Meself', so even really minority teams have been heard of abroad. Whatever next - Amazonian tribe members who have never been out of their village will recognise teams like Bath City?

Guest WestburyRed
I went to New York last month and due to the sub-zero temperatures, I had my City hat and scarf on.

Speaking of which, is the hat still available? I'm off to Canada soon and I need a nice bright red hat to keep me warm. Can't find it on the online shop.

I played football on the beach in Barbados with some lads a number of years ago and they asked who I supported. I said Bristol City, you probably don't know them. They knew almost every player. I asked how they knew that and they said: It's Greg Goodridge's team and asked: why can't he get in your team though, he is our captain?

Also a fair few Grenadians are now familiar with us. Trescothick will be on the island in a couple of months which will boost the City contingent.

Guest cidergeorge

Florida @ Chrimbo, only the brits over there knew of city but on the last day having put up ewith the normal Manure and ARSEnal tops I looked up whilst just about to check out and saw a blue and white quartered top . I laughed and then he laughed. I said 4000 ######ng miles and I have to bump into one of you lot, and he replied yeah well some people have got no taste. Loads of the yanks asked about it though, and they did think it was cooler to support a lower league team than a prem team. Until I eneterd one of the Nike shops and everything was Manure.

Guest RSG3191
Speaking of which, is the hat still available? I'm off to Canada soon and I need a nice bright red hat to keep me warm. Can't find it on the online shop.
The hat I have is the black one with the logo at the front. I got it a couple of years ago, don't know if you can still get it, I would of thought so though.

Guest eviltaxman

I was on my hols last September in Orlando. We (the missus, sprog & me) visited a nice little watering hole and this Mexican (I think) yelled across the room "C'mon you Reds". I thought... bl@@dy foreigner.. sees a red footie shirt and yells out the colour!!.

Not likely. Behind the bar he had pennants, flags, shirts, signed pics, the lot... all from European clubs. I spoke to him over a few beers (if they call it beer - no cider!) and it seems that he often pops over the pond to watch British games. I thought he was talking about your Arse-nals & Manures, but no. He said he often watches the lower leagues as it's more "entertaining". Something to do with contact sports :P

He's even been to the Gate a few times. All I could do was by the guy a beer!!

Guest east_dundry_red

When i was in australia i went into a record shop in Cairns and the whole place was decked out bristol city so had a chat with the guy that ran it and he moved there just after we won promotion to div 1. Also while in Cairns i had my city flag flying over the balcony and one guy comes and knocks on the door and asks if were city fans. Apparently he has alot of family who support city who live in whitchurch. One of them is accually a good friend of mine and this bloke was one of his relatives.

Archived