IGNORED

Pace And Quality

Maesknoll Red

• Admin

Am I alone in feeling that there was a distinct lack of quality on show yesterday?

Louis Carey was caught in possesion too often and for the first hour I can't recall him making a pass that reached a red shirt. The midfield failed to create and also the quality of passing was not that which we have come to expect.

Miller and Peacock worked very hard, but in the wrong place, the were dropping back to collect the ball, thus giving the impression that for long periods of the game that we had no centre forward. When either one of them had picked up the ball deep, the other was also deep, invariably wide as well, the centre of the penalty box being devoid of City attackers.

The lack of pace and a true attacking midfielder only compounded the problem, although when Roberts came on Wednesday put two on him when he got the ball, thus rendering him ineffective, as the midfield movement was not good enough to pull one of these defenders from him.

Defensively we looked composed and assured, until Matt Hill went off, Woodman appeared overawed and nervous, I've certainly seen him play better.

My previously documented concerns that the lack of goals will cost us automatic promotion have not been eased by yesterdays game, its now imperative that the squad show the spirit and character needed to bounce back from a disappointing defeat. I remain confident that the squad have it in them, hopefuly this setback will kickstart a new winning streak.

No less than three points against both Wycombe and Stockport are necessary, if we are worthy automatic promotion candidates.

Guest Topbuzz

I dont think Carey is to blame for lost passes theres no1 for him to work with on the right ...on the left brown n hill link up brilliantly ...pity carey doesent get the same chance to link up as wilkshire is most of the time playin rcm

There was absolutely no width yesterday! Aaron seemed to be loitering in the centre of midfield for most of the game, Wilkshire was continually drifting into the centre (not surprising as he is a central midfielder) and Robbo when he came on, was worse than useless!

Am I alone in feeling that there was a distinct lack of quality on show yesterday?
Probably not but I think you're wrong.

Our "pace and quality" was at least 5 times better than Wednesday's. We COMPLETELY took the ###### out of them for the first 30 minutes, and in several other patches throughout the match.

To go away to a mid-table side wanting our blood, in front of a big crowd and play so well is a credit to the players and management in my book.

We did enough to deserve a draw and could have easily snatched a win, it was a close well-fought game.

Agree about Carey, he was useless.

Did we play that much worse than we did against say Wrexham, Brentford or Notts County?

I think not, the run had to come to an end - you win some you lose some.

In my opinion we're going up, top two.

Get over it.

Its amazing how suddenly after one (unlucky) defeat all the critics suddenly appear again.

We didn't hear much from them when City were on a role of 11 winning games...

My point is - that yesterdays loss was simply a "bad day at the office" and that it was maybe a one off.City have a great chance of getting going again on Tuesday night and why not wait untill that game is over before coming out with loads of negativity about yesterdays result.

City were 15 seconds from a draw .........Jeeeeeez! It never ceases to amaze me... :D

Exactly, everyone saw how gutted the lads were after the game yesterday.

It proves to me that they give more than two s(h)its about this club and gave it their all.

Thats all that matters to me.

And as I said above, it was not a bad performance. Wednesday judging by their display will be in Div 2 for a few years yet, we however will not.

Its amazing how suddenly after one (unlucky) defeat all the critics suddenly appear again.

.........Jeeeeeez! It never ceases to amaze me... :D

your not alone Rob.I'm not blind to their faults but I'm a realist.This is our squad and our team better or worse,lots of Bristol lads having a go.They battered owls for long periods who as the home team had to hit us on the break.No we didnt play like Arsenal we are 2nd div lookin to improve,back 'em and encourage 'em.

the new run is on

• Admin

You've obviously missed my other posts then :P

I have at least been consistent in my concerns, over the lack of goals, to build a team that relies heavily on having a good defence, but lacks goals doesn't guarantee any success - ask Russell Osman.

• Admin
Probably not but I think you're wrong.

To go away to a mid-table side wanting our blood, in front of a big crowd and play so well is a credit to the players and management in my book.

We did enough to deserve a draw and could have easily snatched a win, it was a close well-fought game.

Agree about Carey, he was useless.

Did we play that much worse than we did against say Wrexham, Brentford or Notts County?

I think not, the run had to come to an end - you win some you lose some.

In my opinion we're going up, top two.

Get over it.

"Our "pace and quality" was at least 5 times better than Wednesday's. We COMPLETELY took the ###### out of them for the first 30 minutes, and in several other patches throughout the match."

I certainly wasn't impressed by Wednesday, but 5 times better, if we were I'm sure that we would have scored at least a couple.......

"We did enough to deserve a draw and could have easily snatched a win, it was a close well-fought game."

If we were 5 times better than Wednesday for large periods, surely it shouldn't have been close.....

"Did we play that much worse than we did against say Wrexham, Brentford or Notts County?"

The passing and link up play between the midfield and strikers was probably worse, but its been fairly widely acknowledged that even though we were winning games, it was without playing well - and you cannot keep on doing that.

"Get over it."

I won't be losing any sleep ........

Archived