IGNORED

Who Defended The Back Post?

Guest 1948

The only mistake i saw on the replay yesterday, the long throw comes in, as good as any corner....but who was defending the back post?

Where was Louis ?

Some learning here...

I thought that as well - where was Carey. A throw in from that postion when SW had their own version of Andy Legg was as good as having a corner.

It is easy to criticise but I blame Coles myself - his distribution throughout was poor and in the last qtr. he became very sloppy [one ball was allowed by him and Phillips to pass across the 6 yd line] and it was his loose pass to Woodman which put him in trouble leading to the throw in.

I think Coles is believing in his own publicity !!

I still can't help but worry everytime butler gets the ball! Would it not be an idea to go 3-5-2 and not play butler, then have wilkshire in the middle and goodfellow on the wing? i thought our crosses were pretty bad all game and needed to have goodfellow out there and not wilkshire.

The only mistake i saw on the replay yesterday, the long throw comes in, as good as any corner....but who was defending the back post?

Where was Louis ?

Some learning here...

I mentioned god knows how many times to my mate, that we never had players on BOTH posts from corners or long throws.

It is basic defending and something that we must rectify.

Guest Lockerman

You are right 1948, there was nobody defending the posts or the goal line, and I also ask why did five people go for the same ball as the goalscorer and he was the one that got it, but in fairness he didn't have a clue where the ball was going it was just a lucky goal.

Had Carey been on the far post there is no way it would have gone in.

Poor Defending.

We have the best defensive record in the division just think how much better it would be if we had made so many bloomers in the earlier part of the season.

ive allways had a problem with carey, its this, ive never seen a defender who makes so many half harted attempts at headers, he jumps without realy trying to head the ball, he aint the strongest and its been going on for years, other than that hes a good player

I don't like it when he backs of players, but then again I was never a great defender so maybe that is what he is taught but it just seems to give the attacker too many options by allowing him so much space. But I don't agree with sl@gging off players but just something that annoys me. All round, as you say, he is a good player.

Guest east_dundry_red

To be honest its the keepers job to cover the back post on courners and the defender should be about 2 foot from the back post.

I dont see the problem with butler as he was outstanding the last few weeks. The problem saturday was with matt hill and danny coles they both had a weston.

Over all I thought we defended pretty well and didn't give Wednesday that many chances. Apart from the 2 glaring misses by them, opportunites that we should of NEVER given them, and the goal I didn't think they had any more chances that we didn't snuff out.

Guest Red Shadow

The problem is that we didn't score. Theirs should have been no more than a consolation goal. I made a point of noting that we never had a shot on target in the entire first half. I think that's where we lost it. Our strikers posed no real threat to the Wednesday defence. In the second half it was a combination of bad luck, fantastic goalkeeping and awful refereeing that denied us. But while you're drawing 0-0 there's always the chance of the opposition sneaking a goal. We need to be scoring more goals, not relying on keeping clean sheets.

If craig woodmen would of headed the ball instead of tryin to get his leg up to kick it, it wouldnt of went out for a throwing for them to score it would of went back up the pitch!we still should of delt with the throwing but if it would of been headed away from the big boot up they would of got a throwing!

up the city!

Where was Louis ?

Some learning here...

After defending so well at Peterborough a few weeks earlier against long throws, when Andy Legg was throwing the ball into our box from inside his own half, it was a disappointing way to concede.

Archived