IGNORED

It May Have Been 0-0 But It Was The Best Football

cheshire_red

cheshire_red is quite right, it certainly was the best football we've played in almost a decade since the John Ward era. Not suprising really as Gary Johnson is the best City manager we've had since John Ward. Good that Goater was there to see the game - pity he wasn't leading our attack yesterday as we really needed his goal poaching prowess to break the stalemate.

I don't agree at all - yesterday,especially in the fiirst half City were desperate or some width.Virtually every move was through' the middle and thats why there were so few chances.

We don't know what instructions Scotty Brown was given by the manager but he was rarely wide which ment that there was no exit to the left from the midfield.I found it very frustrating to watch.

The second half was a little better but still City lacked width.Murray did very little when he had the chance and the game had 0-0 written all over it from about the 50th min.

Thats said I thought Oldham were the best side to visit AG this season so far but I thought City played into their hands.

cheshire_red is quite right, it certainly was the best football we've played in almost a decade since the John Ward era. Not suprising really as Gary Johnson is the best City manager we've had since John Ward. Good that Goater was there to see the game - pity he wasn't leading our attack yesterday as we really needed his goal poaching prowess to break the stalemate.

Hopefully, he'll take his coaching badges with us, and a manager for the future, too Gobbo.

class player in his day, one of the best ones in recent times here.

I don't agree at all - yesterday,especially in the fiirst half City were desperate or some width.Virtually every move was through' the middle and thats why there were so few chances.

We don't know what instructions Scotty Brown was given by the manager but he was rarely wide which ment that there was no exit to the left from the midfield.I found it very frustrating to watch.

The second half was a little better but still City lacked width.Murray did very little when he had the chance and the game had 0-0 written all over it from about the 50th min.

Thats said I thought Oldham were the best side to visit AG this season so far but I thought City played into their hands.

I'd agree with that assessment Robbored. I think Brown put in a reasonable effort yesterday but he's still one of a number of square pegs in round holes that we have. If he's going to stay there long-term someone will need to teach him to cross! As a whole I would think the number of crosses we had must be pretty low. Certainly it seemed that while our defenders were clearing with their heads, Oldham's were clearing with their feet.

Still on the plus side, the performance was very good. This was actually my first game of the season :blush: and I would say there has been a big improvement on the 2nd half of last season which was itself a big improvement on the 1st half of last year. Comparing Tranmere (H) last season, where we were awful and won, with yesterday, where we were excellent but drew, I'd say I'm much happier with the 2nd as it heralds a positive future. I'm now very much looking forward to game No 2 agianst Brentford next week.

Guest Bluebeard

Gary Johnson is the best City manager we've had since John Ward.

Not bad for a Royalist eh? Apparently GJ raised his voice after training on Thursday and the trophy cabinet glass imploded. Fortunately, nothing fell out.

Hopefully, he'll take his coaching badges with us, and a manager for the future, too Gobbo.

class player in his day, one of the best ones in recent times here.

Said on Radio Bris' that he likes the weather in Bermuda too much. He's helping turn a local club professional and join the lower levels of the USFL/MSL, he wants to use his contacts here to get a few locals trials etc. Sounded on form and still a true gentleman. :notworthy: :notworthy:

Back to the game, I thought both sides played more football on Saturday than I have seen in several Prem games on TV this year, Oldham will not be far away on this form and the fact that we matched them so closely, gives me a lot of hope considering they ripped Forest apart a couple of weeks back.

Brown's tendency to wander in field did leave McCallister badly exposed in the last 20, I was a bit surprised that Johnson didn't go down the 4-5-1 route he's used in other games as JMW on the left would have reduced the opportunities for them to get forward down there.

A terrific game by league one standards, well worth the admission fee and it's a shame only 11,000+ made the effort.

My first league game for several years (due to location). Thoroughly enjoyed it.

I was in the middle of Dolman G Block - slap bang in the middle of the Burberry crowd - despite some of the things that have been said about them I found them energetic and largely harmless, with the exception of one racist comment toward the refereee which has been covered elsewhere. In the largely quiet first half, it was nice to hear them making some noise.

The fans really picked up for a spell in the second half, but it struck me that we are still a largely quiet fan base, and we don't take the initiative in the way some teams' fans do.

With regard to players - it's hard, and somewhat foolish - to tell much from one game but I thought Basso looked really solid (even his kicking), and I was suprised at Enochs lack of arial threat. I understand he's lacking match fitness, but for a very tall guy, he didn't win many headers.

Looked like a stonewall penalty from where I was (opposite end of the ground), but I guess a draw was a fair result. Shame we couldn't have pulled along a bigger crowd.

Lewis

OK Sir, I agree with BCFC Alex and RobF. :dance: The best football, especially during the first 20 minutes, I've seen us play since the time of John Ward.

Which is strange because Robbored said on another thread that he thought we had little or no width and played too many long balls. :blink:

I thought we switched to the long ball when JMW came on, but that was the ideal tactic to get the ball beyond their tiring defence and let him use his pace. He nearly got in when Charlton slipped but generally they played him as well as they played everyone else.

Archived