IGNORED

Saturday Sums Up

Guest a_way_of_life

Guest a_way_of_life

...........why football is dead.

The atmosphere was absolutely appalling. The game was just as bad.

No passion, on or off the pitch.

Then reading some of the comments on here......non smoking areas, Millwall fans stood through-out the whole game.......

........this is football 2006.

You lot are having a pop at your 'hooligans' for not watching the game, taunting our fans etc, but if it wasnt for the 30 in the corner where we come in and the 20 in the other corner, the atmosphere would have been the worst i have heard in a crowd of over 10000.

Football and football culture RIP

Guest follower

Then reading some of the comments on here......non smoking areas, Millwall fans stood through-out the whole game.......

You lot are having a pop at your 'hooligans' for not watching the game, taunting our fans etc, but if it wasnt for the 30 in the corner where we come in and the 20 in the other corner, the atmosphere would have been the worst i have heard in a crowd of over 10000.

Most noise I've heard in the ground this season by far.

TURN YOUR DEAF AID UP MATE. ;)

Most noise I've heard in the ground this season by far.

TURN YOUR DEAF AID UP MATE. ;)

But you havent been going to AG for very long, as City arent your first team but you want your family to watch local football. Fair play to you for that.

You may well be right, it may have been the best atmosphere at AG this season.

The point of the original post was that its not what it was compared to 10,15,20,25 years ago.

Guest a_way_of_life
But you havent been going to AG for very long, as City arent your first team but you want your family to watch local football. Fair play to you for that.

You may well be right, it may have been the best atmosphere at AG this season.

The point of the original post was that its not what it was compared to 10,15,20,25 years ago.

Exactly mate.

I'm not here to slag you lot off, as i said in my first post, i respect Bristol City, but that atmosphere was shocking on saturday. The only time the whole ground sung was in injury time.

Like them or not, take away your little firm in the corner and the atmophere would have been non-existant.

Football culture has been killed

The acoustics at AG are not brilliant (to understate it), more specifically, if you're in the EE you struggle to hear noise from other stands, that's not to say that there's anything to hear usually anyway.

I fundamentally agree with your sentiments though.

People have mentioned that Millwall only brought 561........Just to point out that was the second highest following, BHA brought 650 in twelve home games at City this season.

I think that's part of the problem and the atmosphere overall will improve greatly when & if we're promoted.........well, it will if the police and City allow anyone in the ground without making it a 7.00am KO and force them to travel by official canal boat!!

When I see Chelsea v Arsenal & Celtic v Rangers and the fans are separated by a line of stewards, then we play Millwall, Cardiff or Swansea....or Colchester for that matter and "half the grounds empty", I must admit to be being a bit puzzled.

Segregation is necessary, especially for the high profile games and I hope the last thing I'd ever be accused of is being naive, but almost 2,500 seats (Cap 21,300-19,100 tops) empty for a home game??

It's about time the emphasis was on "How many can we get in safely" as opposed to "How safe can we make it, I know, let's have the place empty!"

Hearing Sexstones' comments in the EP would make any casual follower decide to go to the Opera instead.........in fact, anywhere instead.That night game against Millwall was no worse than dozens I've experienced over the years, in fact, far less went on.Before the PC Mob's antennas go up and I get a lecture, I'm not condoning or excusing it, I'm explaining it and as a-w-o-l & Nick J has said, that could be why the atmosphere has died down in comparison to the not to distant past.

As far as the atmosphere goes, I miss it and no amount of corporate beigeness will ever replace that as a matchday experience.........and that's not to say I don't understand the financial issues.......there is a middle way, but in order to do that you have to understand football........not be a "proffessional sports adminstrator", valuable as they are.

I won't stand on the East End.......well I might go there for one game for old times sake...........but I will support those that want to stand, jump about and sing and I realise the value they can bring in providing an atmopshere.That needs to be done safely but that doesn't mean sterile.

People have mentioned that Millwall only brought 561........Just to point out that was the second highest following, BHA brought 650 in twelve home games at City this season.

I think that's part of the problem and the atmosphere overall will improve greatly when & if we're promoted.........well, it will if the police and City allow anyone in the ground without making it a 7.00am KO and force them to travel by official canal boat!!

When I see Chelsea v Arsenal & Celtic v Rangers and the fans are separated by a line of stewards, then we play Millwall, Cardiff or Swansea....or Colchester for that matter and "half the grounds empty", I must admit to be being a bit puzzled.

Segregation is necessary, especially for the high profile games and I hope the last thing I'd ever be accused of is being naive, but almost 2,500 seats (Cap 21,300-19,100 tops) empty for a home game??

It's about time the emphasis was on "How many can we get in safely" as opposed to "How safe can we make it, I know, let's have the place empty!"

Hearing Sexstones' comments in the EP would make any casual follower decide to go to the Opera instead.........in fact, anywhere instead.That night game against Millwall was no worse than dozens I've experienced over the years, in fact, far less went on.Before the PC Mob's antennas go up and I get a lecture, I'm not condoning or excusing it, I'm explaining it and as a-w-o-l & Nick J has said, that could be why the atmosphere has died down in comparison to the not to distant past.

As far as the atmosphere goes, I miss it and no amount of corporate beigeness will ever replace that as a matchday experience.........and that's not to say I don't understand the financial issues.......there is a middle way, but in order to do that you have to understand football........not be a "proffessional sports adminstrator", valuable as they are.

I won't stand on the East End.......well I might go there for one game for old times sake...........but I will support those that want to stand, jump about and sing and I realise the value they can bring in providing an atmopshere.That needs to be done safely but that doesn't mean sterile.

Alellulajh brother.

Agree with every word.

"The point of the original post was that its not what it was compared to 10,15,20,25 years ago"

No, its not by a long way and the reasons why have been done to death on this forum.All seater stadiums is probably the main cause.

Listening to Talk Sport on my way into work this morning someone was complaining how dead the atmosphere was at Man City yesterday.Sadly thats an all too familiar story all across the country.

Its not just AG that has the problem - it happens at virtually every club.

Btw - I thought the atmosphere at the Gate on Saturday was pretty good.

"The point of the original post was that its not what it was compared to 10,15,20,25 years ago"

No, its not by a long way and the reasons why have been done to death on this forum.All seater stadiums is probably the main cause.

Listening to Talk Sport on my way into work this morning someone was complaining how dead the atmosphere was at Man City yesterday.Sadly thats an all too familiar story all across the country.

Its not just AG that has the problem - it happens at virtually every club.

Btw - I thought the atmosphere at the Gate on Saturday was pretty good.

Agree with all you say except the last sentence RR.

All clubs need to get together to do something about the no standing environment, if they want a proper atmosphere at games. If they don't, then I guess they may as well put padded seats all round the stadiums.

Guest swindlered

If the atmosphere was good on Saturday then it shows how low our expectations now are. The atmosphere was good for around five minutes at the start when the Millwall fans were ushered in by the 5-0. Then it reverted into some long lengthy spells of silence.

I'm starting to think theres some credence in Robboreds theory that the atmosphere is linked to Citys performance on the pitch. Its often noticeable that a prolonged period of attacking pressure is followed by an increase in chanting.

I won't be able to attend but it will be interesting to see what the atmosphere is like against Coventry. Given that we are underdogs it would be nice to roar the team to victory.

If they don't, then I guess they may as well put padded seats all round the stadiums.

I hope so Nick.

After almost biting through the one in front of me when we surrendered possesion for the umpteenth time in the last fifteen minutes and allowed Millwall to punt it into our box, it would save me a fortune in dental bills :D

I'm starting to think theres some credence in Robboreds theory that the atmosphere is linked to Citys performance on the pitch. Its often noticeable that a prolonged period of attacking pressure is followed by an increase in chanting.

That's always been the case and there are some things that could be done next home game to change things dramatically

1.Have a singing area in the EE-Near the centre of goal-Seated is fine until the seats can be removed and if we're knocking it down to build a new stand then they'll be removed and re-sold anyway.

2.Allow boisterous (not hooligan) behaviour in that area.

3.City play well-Very few people will endlessly cheer crap.........OK I know that can't be guaranteed and I said play well, not necessarily win. although we'd like it.

4.Here's a controversial one.....Give those with banning orders that have been running for more than a year, an amnesty on the understanding that the ban will be life for any further serious misdemeanour.

5.Extend the use of those discount vouchers for people if the buy a ticket now for the next three home games.

I'm not saying the list's the final solution (where have I heard that expression before) but it's a reasonable suggestion and it could increase the attendance.Disagree by all means, but short of getting promoted what else will do it?

4.Here's a controversial one.....Give those with banning orders that have been running for more than a year, an amnesty on the understanding that the ban will be life for any further serious misdemeanour.

I think that's a great idea, although I think you'd need to ensure the wording was more unequivocal than "serious misdemeanour" - one man's serious is another man's slapstick.

I'd suggest a precise list of what is considered unacceptable, to remove all doubt and give police / stewards something to refer to, and the Supporters Trust to work from and negotiate over. Go with a three strikes policy or something.

I think that's a great idea, although I think you'd need to ensure the wording was more unequivocal than "serious misdemeanour" - one man's serious is another man's slapstick.

I'd suggest a precise list of what is considered unacceptable, to remove all doubt and give police / stewards something to refer to, and the Supporters Trust to work from and negotiate over. Go with a three strikes policy or something.

I would suggest that a serious misdemeanour would be something that someone such as myself, with an impeccable record :whistle2: would normally receieve a banning order for and that's already in place.

A late bid for "Moaner of the year" methinks :whistle2:

A late bid for "Moaner of the year" methinks :whistle2:

He's a Millwall fan, - commenting on the moaning bunch of whatnots he observed on Saturday, at AG & in the forums thereafter..

He's not altogether wrong either, (not that we need hoolies to spark up some atmosphere)

-we need a dedicated Home End to create a good matchday experience again, -minus the ar$eholes wanting trouble - & we might just get a hint of the life that once flourished within Bristol City home games. he's 'moaning' about our 'moaning' - its become a favorite past-time for some.

(outside 'observer opinion of the week' if you like - but 'Moaner Of The Year' must go to a Bristol City 'fan'.

Guest citynut54

Brilliant post mate.....agree totally

Brilliant post mate.....agree totally

Me too! -there really is a lot of good common sense posters & astute understanding to be found in this here forum, (that is when you sort the wheat from the chaff of course ...count myself in the latter catagory btw)... I hope that occaisionally the 'powers that be' take a few minutes to see what is posted here & maybe even take a little of it on board!.. :)

Me too! -there really is a lot of good common sense posters & astute understanding to be found in this here forum, (that is when you sort the wheat from the chaff of course ...count myself in the latter catagory btw)... I hope that occaisionally the 'powers that be' take a few minutes to see what is posted here & maybe even take a little of it on board!.. :)

Thanks for that.

In fairness SL, now has the Forum Report from yours truly which was representative, in fact, made up of, the replies to a specific post on here AND the ST Report, the findings of which have been published on the ST site.

One of the suggestions was for an exit/entry survey to gauge even wider opinion from fans at AG.

I know that SL is taking it seriously, so we'll see what happens.

We're never all going to agree, so there will, no doubt, be some element of compromise needed.Notwithstanding that, I hope that we will all, at least be brought closer together, fans, players, directors, coaches.......dare I say manager?

Up The City :city::city::city:

Archived