IGNORED

Promotion And Will We Do It?

Bristol Boy

Is it possible?

Yes.

Is it likely?

Honestly, No!

There are some things in our favour and some things not.

It's definetly in our hands.We have home games against Plymouth & QPR and, one way or another they're six pointers.

We have a mean defence and lots of experience.

We have passionate support home & away.Opening the East End has made the difference at AG.

However, we don't score enough goals and our run in could hardly be tougher although, a Tranmere Cup Win could make next weeks game all the easier as they won't want to miss a semi final and that could take the edge off their performance......we hope!

Losing AB's a blow and I don't thing freezer's the answer

I think one or two QUALITY loan signings could make all the difference.

As things stand, I'd go for a top three of Ply, QPR with City missing out in third place.

Please, Please, Please, prove me wrong Danny

I agree with everything you say ... apart from your conclusion.

We have nothing to fear, other than fear itself. If we beat QPR and Plymouth at home, we will go up - it's entirely in our hands. So we shouldn't be going into those games fearing them, because you can bet your boots that they will be cacking themselves at the prospect of coming to the Gate knowing they have to get a result.

You're so right about Freezer not being a substitute for the under-rated Brown. Aaron has created more goals than anyone else this season, and scored some vital ones too, as well as adding defensive solidity to the left flank. It wouldn't surpise me to see Mickey Bell or Craig Woodman used in that position.

I still stand by my posting of a few weeks back saying 90 points will be enough to go up. City have 68 and so need 22 more form 10 games. That's seven wins and a draw.

Tall order yes but I think Luton and Swindon are about to blow up, so City may sneak wins from those away games.

I agree with everything you say ... apart from your conclusion.

We have nothing to fear, other than fear itself. If we beat QPR and Plymouth at home, we will go up - it's entirely in our hands. So we shouldn't be going into those games fearing them, because you can bet your boots that they will be cacking themselves at the prospect of coming to the Gate knowing they have to get a result.

You're so right about Freezer not being a substitute for the under-rated Brown. Aaron has created more goals than anyone else this season, and scored some vital ones too, as well as adding defensive solidity to the left flank. It wouldn't surpise me to see Mickey Bell or Craig Woodman used in that position.

Good points Dave, but we both know they're not the answer at AG in terms of winning games.

Away, they're steady enough if we're sitting in and going for the draw or scoring on the break.

Bell has lost his leg strength and the zip in his corners, crosses and free kicks-Woodman is a better defender, quicker & stronger, but doesn't have the footballing brain or the abiliity when he's 25 Yards from goal, although he strikes a good ball.

As I said in a recent post, I wouldn't be surprised to see Tinman wide away, with Wilkshire returning to partner TD.....if TD's out then it's Fortune or Burnell from what we've got, or the two loan signings I'd like to see us make.

Agree we shouldn't worry about QPR or Plymouth but we need to score more goals so that the lads have the confidence to turnover Ply & QPR by more than one goal and desperate defending.

My heart can't take it ;)

I still stand by my posting of a few weeks back saying 90 points will be enough to go up.  City have 68 and so need 22 more form 10 games.  That's seven wins and a draw.

Tall order yes but I think Luton and Swindon are about to blow up, so City may sneak wins from those away games.

If our strikers were half as productive again, I'd agree.

FCT:

You hope they blow up. To date only Hartlepool, and Vale have blown it, and realistically they were not serious contenders. The current teams are the threats, and possibly Barnsley. I dont feel anyone will blow up, so Wednesday are out, as well. This Luton side is in administation remember, and forbes is out injured, and Judas jumped ship to the 'appy 'oops. Swinedead, I would have agreed with ya up till two weeks ago, but they also have a decent side, and score freely too.

Bristol Boy, youre right:If our strikers were half as productive again, I'd agree

We are always optimistic, but looking at the teams around us: Depending on PlyMOUTH, and the 'appy 'oops to lose, aint really realistic, and a sad reflection on desparate hope as opposed to cold hard realism. God help us if we went up with the same strike force too, cos we couldnt replace them, as well as mid-fielders, defenders and a goalie!.

We need to score goals, I've not checked lately, but I'd bet Brighton, Luton, as well as Swinedead have scored more goals. If we dont get an accurate finisher, we will not go up, it really is as simple as that.

The run came to an end , primarily, because of p*** poor strike rates, we should have beatern Wycombe, Stockport, and put more past Rusty Dump, if we had better strikers. This issue still aint been addressed from last season, indeed as far back as Ade Akinbiyi, to be truthful. Prior to that we seemed to have a steady sucession of competant, or cracking strikers.

WE may have the ones we need in the sided, but they are needed NOW!!

Lots of fans are focusing their attention on Plymouth and QPR at home to decide if we are going up but there are 9 other games to play as well, we have the bigger task of trying to beat Barnsley away, Swindle away, Tranmere away, Luton away, Vale away, this in my opinion is not impossible but unlikely, goals are hard to come by and even though our defence is the tightest in the division we still leak in simple set pieces and draw games we should have had sewn up by half time.

I don't think any team are any more likely to blow up than ourselves at this stage, 2 seasons of disasters for us at the death will hopefully be put to rest this season, surely these players can't blow it again, this is by far the toughest run-in we have had and I hope the players believe it in themselves to go away from home and not get a draw but to bring back all 3 points, draws may not be enough.

I based my theory on Swindle's long unbeaten run coming to an end and therefore they must have a little bit of a bad run now... and Luton got a few pig of matches coming up in the next few weeks... QPR AND Plymouth.

Luton may have a good attack but their defence leaks goals.

Guest redeyes25
If we beat QPR and Plymouth at home, we will go up
Interesting theory.. but I reckon you will need more than 6 points to go up..

Forget lack of goals - we now have the points so something must be going right
Hmmm, there's no doubt that results have been better than (attacking) performances - and that's a good habit to have - but the longer things run the more likely there is to be a readjustment.

Hence the need for a proven goalscorer to ensure the team's great efforts get their fair reward.

Guest redeyes25

It really is quite refreshing to see that some City fans finally consider Plymouth a threat!

I know I am incredibly biased (as most footy fans are) but I think Plymouth deserve it, after having been at the top for so long.

Ideally I'd love to see us two get the auto spots, and Swindon take the play-off final.. (because I live nr Bath and its 2 easy games to get to!) ;)

But I'm not counting my chickens... I have been an Argyle fan too long..

It really is quite refreshing to see that some City fans finally consider Plymouth a threat!

I know I am incredibly biased (as most footy fans are) but I think Plymouth deserve it, after having been at the top for so long.

Ideally I'd love to see us two get the auto spots, and Swindon take the play-off final.. (because I live nr Bath and its 2 easy games to get to!)  ;)

But I'm not counting my chickens... I have been an Argyle fan too long..

Its refreshing to find an intelligent Plymouth fan, we must have had every ##**** who supports your club on here.

You must be favorites, due to your long run at the top, and having gone back.

If you beat QPR, there is a very good chance that the West Country might make it 1-2-3. If we retain 2nd slot (possible), then i really dont fancy QPR's chances in the playoffs against Swindon. Indeed I've said who ever finishes third of us, you lot or QPR, will dip out to Swindon since before Xmas.

And beleive me few Cider-Reds will EVER count their chickens--been down this road toooo many times!!

Archived