IGNORED

That Goal Scoring Problem

Bristol Boy

I've been banging on about this and thought I'd take a look at the exact numbers.

Despite being second we're ninth highest scorers with Stockport (22nd) and Oldham (19th) with only one less goal.Rushden have outscored us, whilst letting in loads more.

Our defence is the meanest and it's going to have to tighten up even further over the next ten if our goal is automatic promotion.

Wigan scored 68 goals last season and won the League by a mile.They only conceded 25 - and only 9 away from home.They won 14 games 1-0.

So far City have scored 49 with 10 games to go.Only another 19 goals to catch up with Wigans total last season.Less than two a game.

You don't have to score 3 or 4 every game to get promoted.

No but City are struggling to score 2 in a game; in fact at times they struggle to score ONE!!!

I hope its a case of laws of averages and suddenly all our chances go in during the next few matches but somehow I just can't see City's luck changing that much.....

When Wigan went up they had the meanest defence I've seen for a couple of years. When they went 1-0 up they never looked like losing it. With City there is always the nagging doubt, which often grows into an equalising goal.

Guest TimmerD

Our inability to kill off games (ie score more than one goal) has cost us points in recent weeks, and almost did on Friday night as well.

We need either to get someone on loan, or for one of our strikers to find some form.

Peacock is not the answer at present, but a couple of games on the bench might wake him up.

Miller deserves to play for 90 mins alongside either Roberts, Lite or even Goodfellow.

I believe we need to change something up front to secure promotion, and I think the likelihood of getting someone decent on loan is remote so lets give someone else a chance.

Facts;Only Qpr and Plymouth have a better goal diff than us in the top six; Q.P.R. being only 8 (4 of them on Sat) We have just finished 11 straight wins; (you have to score to win) We lost 2 away games  :cool:  we have now started another 11 straight win run :D

If our goal is auto ;) our goal is CHAMPIONS and I for one will not give that goal up until its impossible :cool:

Q.P.R. being only 8 (4 of them on Sat)

That's Three of them on Saturday.

We have just finished 11 straight wins-

No we haven't.We've just won once in 4, scoring only twice and conceding four.

I don't think anyone will give up.

I know it ain't this simple, but all season long if we have scored twice, we have always won. If we have scored once, its been a bit of a lottery.

I do think we have at times defended well as a team, and Peacock has contributed to this as much as most.

Scoring is the problem - but whether that is down purely to the strikers, or the shape of the team is a moot point.

All I can say is thank goodness we've done with Wycombe, Stockport and Sheff Weds (who between them have conceeded 165 goals this season so far. And how many have city got against them in 6 games? THREE.

Wow THAT is impressive, certainly promotion material innit?

I'm convinced the goals will come. We have created lots of chances in most games and it only takes one player to hit a "purple patch" and the confidence in front of goal can soar.

We are capable of beating any team left in the last 10 games.Keep the faith, we will win promotion!

I'm convinced the goals will come. We have created lots of chances in most games and it only takes one player to hit a "purple patch" and the confidence in front of goal can soar.

We are capable of beating any team left in the last 10 games.Keep the faith, we will win promotion!

so when exactly is this purple patch going to come then?? 33 matches and they aint hit it yet??? Not including various cup matches. Our top scorer is bracketed by Judas, who hasnt started as many matches, and of those a fair number as sub, and by Adrian Forbes, currently injured, and played as a midfielder as a rule. He has a total of 17 matches without a goal-and he's our best???

WE aint a Wigan- they had Ellington last season, a GENUINE quality striker, er we aint got any, have we this season?Defensively we are the best in the division this season, something to be very proud of, as they are mostly kids, and our midfield is as good as any (when DW, plays em in the right positions!), but our strike force---er no, not really. Some of this is down to DW, but we really dont have a promotion strike force, and I doubt we could survive up a division with it either!!

Goals make points, points make the prize-PROMOTION!!

Archived