IGNORED

Please Help

midland red

i was in the e/e on friday night when brown got injured and as we now know quite seriously, while virtually all around me were very concerned, i heard a voice behind me shout "bring on the dustbin".well i was so shocked i couldn"t turn round quick enough to catch the culprit.was i dreaming this or did anybody else witness this shocking behaviour, also if they know who it was please send me a personal mail so i can deal with the lout and offer him or her out to a cyberfight.

yours a very disgusted midland red. ;) :Fume:

Guest H Block Drum n' Bass

Didn't hear anyhing and rasism is totally (I tried to say a naughty word)ing me off. Sad people!

Yes, it must be made clear that racism and general disparaging comments have a difference. To call someone rubbish is not racist. It matters not what colour they are, rubbish is rubbish. Similarly a bloody fool is a bloody fool, no matter where they come from.

But to call someone a nasty name based on their ethnic background IS racist.

Aaron isn't rubbish in my opinion for the record, he's just at times damned frustrating because I know how good he can be when he's on song.

In a strange way, the fact that the race issue doesn't really come up when discussing Aaron is an encouraging sign of how footy has moved on since the seventies. People either rate him or they don't. There's a good bit in "Fever Pitch" where Nick Hornby is watching Arsenal playing Man U, and the much-hated Paul Ince fouls an Arsenal player. Hornby describes how he is expecting someone to shout something racist and is in fact relieved when they don't - "Not much to be happy about, one man calling another man a **** instead of a black ***".

Actually, I think it IS something to be happy about. Now if we can just persuade the Roberts-haters to drop the "Welsh" part of the insults ...

Agree / disagree ?

Singing Aaron give us a wave was more support then anything else i think. At that time no-one knew how injured he was. If it was just an injury that could be run off then he might have appreciated it?

Someone like Leapy i think would have found it funny. However, isnt it strange that quite a few were singing it in the East End, then wont admit it now because they know that he has broken a bone and was in a lot of pain?

Hypocrites?

i have just had a personal message to say that the chant "bring on the dustbin" was a case of mistaken identity, as we were all sitting down as you should in the e/e the lads around us could not see who was injured, we thought it was bignot hence the chant, so mystery answered.PLEASE STOP PLAYING THE RACISM CARD IT DOESN"T WORK.

yours p.c. midland red. ;) :Costumed19:

Welsh/scots/English/Irish  - That's all good and acceptable, stop all this PC nonsense
I do take your point, and if it's said in a humorous way, I'd agree. But in the case of Christian Roberts, it isn't. Sit in the Atyeo and you hear a few individuals spitting out "You Welsh ****" with genuine hate. That is not acceptable, and if objecting to it makes me a PC ****, then fine. May even change my user name accordingly!

Guest WillsbridgeRed

Haha I don't think you'd be allowed that username.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who takes people called a Welsh """" as racist abuse, it's a cutural thing.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who takes people called a Welsh """" as racist abuse,

Here's one for a start.

Calling someone a **** is bad enough. Qualifying it by calling them a Welsh **** seems to imply that by using the term Welsh you are adding to the insult. Therefore the assumption is that by definition, you think less of somebody because of their race or nationailty.

In my book, that's not a cultural distinction, but racism.

It's also incredibly naive to assume that there isn't an undercurrent of racism in the way Aaron has been treated by *some* fans (Not all, by any means, but some). I've heard him called a **** many times, and I've also heard him called a black **** too.

How is it acceptable to call someone a Welsh ****, but not a black ****?

I don't see the difference.

I also don't understand how any supporter who calls one of their own players any sort of a **** during a game - Welsh, black, lazy or whatever, can call themselves a City fan.

Haha I don't think you'd be allowed that username.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who takes people called a Welsh """" as racist abuse, it's a cutural thing.

If it's only a cultural thing Mr WR, why don't you print the insult, instead of """"?

Well count me in - in what way isn't it racist? I wouldn't like to think of myself as PC, but since has when using a place of racial origin in an insulting manner been ok?

A ###### is a ###### regardless of where they come from, what sex they are, what skin they're in, what age they are and who they pray to.

Guest WillsbridgeRed

"why don't you print the insult, instead of "

A certain Anglo saxon word that begins with C isn't for a family forum.

People have always used Welsh/scot/English/Irish as a insult - Same as you northern monkey or southern fairy, Bristolian inbred, cockney scum, theiving scouser. Are the regional insults any different?

In a strange way, the fact that the race issue doesn't really come up when discussing Aaron is an encouraging sign of how footy has moved on since the seventies. People either rate him or they don't. There's a good bit in "Fever Pitch" where Nick Hornby is watching Arsenal playing Man U, and the much-hated Paul Ince  fouls an Arsenal player. Hornby describes how he is expecting someone to shout something racist and is in fact relieved when they don't - "Not much to be happy about, one man calling another man a **** instead of a black ***".

Actually, I think it IS something to be happy about. Now if we can just persuade the Roberts-haters to drop the "Welsh" part of the insults ...

Agree / disagree ?

Wonder how many of us have ever caled a German/Frenchman/American/Italian b***** etc? Same thing its racist, but none would dream of biting!!

Its sad a player is attacked for his ethnic background, and not (if he is) cos hes ####. Its sad all this b******* is still around. I'd like to think Cider-Reds have risen above it, sadly it seems there are one or two @rseholes about still!!

When I read the title I thought it was another post about me :cool:

People who come out of with kak like that are complete gimps who should be hung from a rafter and beaten by Bruce Willis.

Players like Aaron and Christian Roberts will always get comments like that; I firmly believe although these are not racial comments, it is an underlying racial dislike that drives a lot of it.

Within the first 5 minutes on Friday, an aforementioned gimp behind me was shouting abuse at Roberts along the lines of get that welsh ###### off.

I then shouted it everytime he did something well to make a point. Unfortunately, that had 2 problems: -

1. he didn't have a brilliant game so my retorts were few and far between

2. people in front of me were dogging me up big style as they didn't get it was sarcasm ;)

get that welsh ###### off.

I then shouted it everytime he did something well to make a point.  Unfortunately, that had 2 problems: -

1. he didn't have a brilliant game so my retorts were few and far between

2. people in front of me were dogging me up big style as they didn't get it was sarcasm  ;)

Try this - when, say, Tinnion or Coles do something wrong, shout "You English ****" and see what happens :cool:

Singing Aaron give us a wave was more support then anything else i think. At that time no-one knew how injured he was. If it was just an injury that could be run off then he might have appreciated it?

Someone like Leapy i think would have found it funny. However, isnt it strange that quite a few were singing it in the East End, then wont admit it now because they know that he has broken a bone and was in a lot of pain?

Hypocrites?

I agree, at the time I didnt see anything wrong with him giving us a wave, then as he didn't give us a wave it was made clear to me that he was in more pain than i had thought. If it was a pulled muscle for example i would think that he would respond but with a broken leg obviuosly too much on his mind!

I didnt see anything wrong with that 'aaron give us a wave' song. ps, yes i did join in with it.

Here's one for a start.

Calling someone  a **** is bad enough. Qualifying it by calling them a Welsh **** seems to imply that by using the term Welsh you are adding to the insult. Therefore the assumption is that by definition, you think less of somebody because of their race or nationailty.

In my book, that's not a cultural distinction, but racism.

So to clarify, would you count "you ginger ****" to be racist? I agree with what you said but surely by putting something before the remark in this example being 'ginger' is too racist? To be honest I wouldn't go as far as racist, I would count it as discrimination towards differences.

I dont know, these rasict/discrimination type conversations do go on a bit too far.

So to clarify, would you count "you ginger ****" to be racist?
Of course not. There is no country called Gingeria, as far as I'm aware. But it would still be a lazy sterotype if you were to assume that because you have ginger hair you have a particular set of characteristics.

Someone raised the 'Thieving scouser' thing earlier in the thread. My family on my mum's side are 'scousers', but none of them are thieves. Undoubtedly there are thieves who live on Merseyside, but they are thieves because they are thieves, not because they are scousers.

That's the problem with using catch all phrases when describing people, races or those with different coloured hair. You lump everyone in together and make assumptions about them all: Irish people are thick, black people are lazy, people who wear glasses are geeks, people with ginger hair are somehow a bit suspect in a way that no-one can quite define.

This isn't about pc or non pc. It's about having basic respect for other human beings.

I don't have a problem with insults, or abuse aimed at a specific person if they deserve it. But the sort of lazy, casual and often unthinking racism behind phrases such as calling someone a Welsh **** leads to the sort of general violence and hatred that we see too much of in our football grounds, on our streets and in society at large. It's the reasoning that says that if all Welsh people are ****s, therefore when me and my mates have had a few beers, and we see a bloke with a funny Welsh accent, its somehow alright to kick his head in.

Words carry great power, and we should all be careful how we use them.

Once, when on my hols in Corfu I was enjoying a few beers with some Scots lads and no reference at all was made to my Nationality.We were all "Brits" exchanging some friendly banter and views on the the best place to eat out or hire a car.

On the Saturday England were playing Brazil in a friendly at the old Wembley and we all sat down to "enjoy" the game. It was then and only then that any mention was made to my Nationality.

I took some stick as all the Scots wanted England to lose and cheered every time Brazil had the ball.I didn't mind at all - it was all friendly and well ment.

But after the game (1-1) I asked a couple of the Scots why they had supported Brazil - adding that if Scotland were playing against Brazil I would have wanted them to win.They reckoned that it was due to years of English "arrogance" shoved in their faces since 1966.They felt the same applied to Irish and Welsh.Football has alot to answer for.

When ever City play a Welsh club,nationality comes into it in a major way.Both sets of fans often trade insults based on which side of the Severn you live.Roberts we all know has his heart in Cardiff and thats why he gets "Welsh" thrown at him as an intended insult.It would be the same for a Englishman playing for Cardiff or Swansea if the locals didn't rate him.

Having your nationality thrown at you is hardly an insult imho. However,colour or race used as an insult is far more serious and offensive.The perpertrators of such abuse should be handed over or reported.

"Welsh rubbish" is far less offensive that "Black Welsh rubbish"

Guest WillsbridgeRed

I think there's a difference between a racist comment anout skin and one involving one of the home countries. Someone proud to be Welsh wouldn't bat an eyelid about being called Welsh infront of a insult.

I wish some people would get off their moral high horse and concentraite on real issues, rather than trying to fight other peoples battles, ie that of the welsh

Someone proud to be Welsh wouldn't bat an eyelid about being called Welsh infront of a insult.

I wish some people would get off their moral high horse and concentraite on real issues, rather than trying to fight other peoples battles, ie that of the welsh

They would if the implication was that the insult was in some way related to their nationality. Is someone is a ****, then they're a ****. What on earth has their nationality, race, creed or colour got to do with it?

And your reference to 'other people's' battles proves my point. Why should someone who lives a few miles the other side of an arbitrary border suddenly become 'other people'? You cannot lump a whole nation together and make lazy generalisations about them.

I'll shake hands and spend time with anyone, be they Welsh, Jew, Arab, Afro Caribbean, Muslim, Christian or ginger, providing I like them as a person.

I have met black Bristolians who I like, and black Bristolians who I dislike. I have met white Bristolians who I like, and white Bristolians who I don't like. In the end, their colour or race should be irrelevant.

This is a real issue. One of the most fundamental issues that affect our society. It's very sad that you can't see it.

Quick point Dave.

I completely agree with you about ridiculous stereotypes (though some are quite funny), but calling somebody a Welsh #### is NOT racist.

This is because Wales is a country and the Welsh are not a race of people in their own right. IE. Racism must be on the grounds of race and not nationality!

BS4

Guest WillsbridgeRed

"I have met black Bristolians who I like"

What the hell has this got to do with skin, completely seperate.

"And your reference to 'other people's' battles proves my point. Why should someone who lives a few miles the other side of an arbitrary border suddenly become 'other people'? You cannot lump a whole nation together and make lazy generalisations about them. "

Is an expression, have you honestly never used it or are you just being pedantic?

End of the day I'm sure my welsh and Scots mates will agrea with me %100 on this subject, Using Welsh, Scots, English infront of an insult as acceptable in society and istn't meant as racist.

Maybe you PC lefties should go ban some football in a some more playgrounds yeah?

Guest budbcfc

i'll tell you what robbored you are sometimes a miserable git on the forum and sometimes funny but most of all you write a very good message to all fans .fair play to you and keep it up. ;)

To reverse the whole thing, if a Welshy or Paddy or Jock said to me you English **** I wouldn't mind at all the "English" as its an accurate description. I might take exception to the ***** the same way I would if they hadn't said "English" (unless they are seven feet tall in which case I'd agree with them wholeheartedly).

Its something that has to be experienced at the moment whether the intent and inflection is racist or not. What I mean is the word English itself is not racist, neither is it when used in front of a swear word if spoken in light-hearted banter or a similar way. But certainly it could be if used in a way whereby insult IS intended.

Its all down to interpretation. Its no good slamming down the doors of PC on it regardless as this only serves to curtail dialogue and widens rifts between the various communities. The more the disparate ethnic groups talk to each other and maintain contact then the racist barriers slowly erode.

Of course you'll never get rid of it entirely, but the steps taken in the last 15 years or so has shown it can be minimsed. Its something that could all too easily be ruined if the PC police and their spies/informants impose ridiculous restrictions on conversation and social contact.

Of course there are always those who benefit from isolating the various ethnic groups and they would be rubbing their hands in glee at every silly headline about racism where none actually existed.

But the point about Aaron Brown's injury and what was said at the time from the stands doesn't to me sound like it was racist at all. It was a case of someone expressing an opinion that he wasn't a good player. That's all.

Umm.... try saying that to a Celt, they'll be ENRAGED.

Its true that Welsh Scots English and Northern Irish are BRITISH, but each are separate in their ethnic backgrounds. Take for example Spain. They have Basques, Catalans and Castilians in their country, all called Spanish, yet a Basque would be offended if you said they were the same as a Castilian or indeed, a Catalunian.

The Welsh are a separate people to the English, its a fact. Wales was separate until 1283 when Edward I marched in, killed a few Welsh and stuck a load of castles up to keep the locals in good behaviour.

The ethnic background is entirely different. Welsh people are Celtic in origin. English people are a mixture of Angles, Saxons, Viking and Norman. Of course there has been a lot of intermixing, particularly in south Wales.

However Wales is really a different nation (you can see that in the 6 nations or in the world cup qualifiers coming up).

I'll shake hands and spend time with anyone, be they Welsh, Jew, Arab, Afro Caribbean, Muslim, Christian or ginger, providing I like them as a person.

And what, pray tell, determines if you like someone or not?

I assume by this definition that you believe your prejudices are OK but those who base their prejudices on race, nationality or hair colour are unacceptable.

It's a funny old world.

NB For what it's worth, I don't like City type folk who wear wide pin-striped suits. Is this OK?

"I have met black Bristolians who I like"

What the hell has this got to do with skin, completely seperate.

"And your reference to 'other people's' battles proves my point. Why should someone who lives a few miles the other side of an arbitrary border suddenly become 'other people'? You cannot lump a whole nation together and make lazy generalisations about them. "

Is an expression, have you honestly never used it or are you just being pedantic?

End of the day I'm sure my welsh and Scots mates will agrea with me %100 on this subject, Using Welsh, Scots, English infront of an insult as acceptable in society and istn't meant as racist. 

Maybe you PC lefties should go ban some football in a some more playgrounds yeah?

OK. Let me put this another way.

Somebody breaks into my house and steals my TV. Trashes the place. ####s on the carpet. Kicks my dog. Then he goes. I never see him, just have to replace the TV, clean the carpet and comfort the dog. I'm pretty steamed up, as you can imagine. I know nothing about this guy ... other than the fact that I know he's from Willsbridge.

The next day, I meet you down the Gate. Never met you before, you seems like a good guy, you're a City fan, surely we've got something in common. I say, 'good to meet you, where are you from?' You say 'Willsbridge'.

And I think ... 'that bloke who broke into my house was from Willsbridge. I hate him. Therefore I'm not even going to make an effort to get to know you. You're from Willsbridge, therefore you must be a thieving, carpet-####ping dog molester'.

At which point you're probably thinking 'Why has this guy got it in for me? I've never done anything to hurt him. I didn't break into his house. All I ever did was come from Willsbridge'. And you'd be right to feel aggrieved.

I'm sure Chris Roberts has similar feelings when he hears City fans calling him a Welsh ****.

Now I'm sure you're an OK bloke. I think I'm OK too. But it would be a real shame if we never got the chance to find out what each other was really like because I assumed that because you were from Willsbridge you were a ****. Or you assumed that because I held a different point of view to you I was a PC leftie who wants to ban football in playgrounds.

You know nothing about me, my politics, or my attitude to football in playgrounds.

But if you ask me, I might tell you.

Why not engage in a dialogue instead of falling back on assumptions and stereotypes?

Guest WillsbridgeRed

Nibble nibble, I was hoping you'd bit at the leftie comments!

But aren't you saying racism is about Stereotyptyping from your very will made (and thought up) point about the geezer from Willsbridge?

Racism, to me, is about hate or predudice. I'm sure there are a few who hate the Welsh, but on the hole I think insulting a using someones country before a insult is tradition, it enhances the insult, gives more emphasis to it - But if it was insult wouldn't people just say - "You're welsh Roberts"

We have a special relationship on this island, two different people and 3 different countries. At the end of the day we don't discriminate against someone because their welsh or scots, celtic or anglo saxon, a bit of banter is the extreme it goes to. Can't even compare to the tribal violence of Africa, the clashes in the balkans trouble in Indonesia.

Guest weqprarebetterthanu

All the atrocities started with banter which led to avoidance -discrimination -physical attacks - extermination being the final end product.

Racism is not about hatred or dislike it is about one group of people believing themselves inherently to be superior to another .

Is racial banter based on ill in informed stereotyping between the home islands harmless , well ask an Irish person what it was like trying to get a job in Englands in the 50s 60s and 70s that was not manual labour based.

My site name is of course silly banter but not based on any assumptions of superiority as our clubs and teams at present seem very well matched.

But love can be for only one club which outlasts much else and when the first game you see is at LR with Gerry Francis and Stan the MAN Bowles weaving their magic there could be no other !

Never tempeted by the glory hunters of the age Liverpool or as is now Man Utd .One love ,one club one QPR .

Guest WillsbridgeRed

"All the atrocities started with banter which led to avoidance -discrimination -physical attacks - extermination being the final end product."

Yeah, the history of the Balkans in a sentence ;)

Guest malaggro
"All the atrocities started with banter which led to avoidance -discrimination -physical attacks - extermination being the final end product."

Yeah, the history of the Balkans in a sentence  :cool:

Sounds more like a Rovers boardmeeting!! ;)

:cool:

I do believe the original chant came from mistaken identity and, when with a little mischief ,you see where it leads, it's not hard to understand how silly little things can blow up to all sorts of proporttons

What a naughty little villain. :Costumed89: :Costumed89: :Costumed89:

Pedigree Pigs of BEAUTIFUL GLOUCESTERSHIRE RULE! ALL else are inferior.

PINK PIGS STINK... SING YOU ARE PINKY POOFS SING YOU ARE PINKY POOFS

Guest bristolbred

:Wave:

I heared a lot of thing's in the e/e that game, but not bring the dustbin. but you will always get one or a few sad, drunken idividuals spitting venom at certain city players. i didn't think racism was too bad at City, just the occasional remark. But the swearing makes me wonder if i should take my kids to games, especially when they start singing:

"My old man, said be a Rover's fan!" "And i said ##** off!, B*******!, you're a ##**!".

maybe it's time for the City Board to get the stewards to act accordingly!. :Wave:

That song, sung cheerfully to the tune of My Old Man Said Follow The Band.... has been around for donkeys' years. I recall it being sung when I stood on the East End terraces back in the 80s.

Guest Uncle Ern
:Wave:

I heared a lot of thing's in the e/e that game, but not bring the dustbin. but you will always get one or a few sad, drunken idividuals spitting venom at certain city players. i didn't think racism was too bad at City, just the occasional remark. But the swearing makes me wonder if i should take my kids to games, especially when they start singing:

"My old man, said be a Rover's fan!" "And i said ##** off!, B*******!, you're a ##**!".

maybe it's time for the City Board to get the stewards to act accordingly!.  :Wave:

Cursing has been a fundamental part of most football fan's vocabulary for as long as I can remember(and I've been going down the Gate since about 1960).

You can hear as bad ,if not worse, language in any school yard.

If you don't like it I suggest you take up going to the theatre.

:Wave: :Wave: :Wave: :Wave:

Guest Uncle Ern
You obviously haven't been to the theatre recently. Last play I went to see was called 'Shopping and ##cking'.  :blink:
Great where's it on !!!

It probably refers to my wife's habit ie ######ing shopping !

:clap:

NOW WE ARE STRETCHING THE POINT, WHO ON EARTH WOULD GO TO THE THEATRE IN PREFERENCE TO FOOTBALL, FOR INSTANCE " THAT"L BE THE DAY ", NOBODY HOW RIDICULOUS CAN YOU GET!!!!!!!!!!

YOURS NON THESPIAN MIDLAND RED.

:blink: :Wave: :Wave: :Wave: :Wave: :Wave: :Wave: :Wave: :Wave:

Guest malaggro
NOW WE ARE STRETCHING THE POINT, WHO ON EARTH WOULD GO TO THE THEATRE IN PREFERENCE TO FOOTBALL, FOR INSTANCE " THAT"L BE THE DAY ", NOBODY HOW RIDICULOUS CAN YOU GET!!!!!!!!!!

YOURS NON THESPIAN MIDLAND RED.

:blink:  :Wave:  :Wave:  :Wave:  :Wave:  :Wave:  :Wave:  :Wave:  :Wave:

Got a feeling this production is currently having a run at a theatre "On top of the hill"

But as you have already stated what devient would forsake City for an evening watching half baked actors pretending to be long dead rock n rollers?

The mind boggles..

:Music10:

Archived