IGNORED

Wycombe Appoint Adams

ballwinningcentrehalf

Former Arsenal and England defender Tony Adams has been named as the new manager of Wycombe.

Adams - who has been out of the game for 17 months - has signed a two-and-a-half year deal.

He taken his first job in football management on the back of a ringing endorsement from former Wycombe manager Martin O'Neill.

The Celtic manager is believed to have advised Adams to use Wycombe as his first step into management.

Former caretaker boss John Gorman will stay on to assist 37-year-old Adams at the Causeway Stadium.

The former Tottenham assistant manager became caretaker following the sacking of Lawrie Sanchez at the end of September.

"I've really missed the game. I've been enjoying my sports science degree at university, which I'm half-way through, but it feels right to be here now," said Adams.

Adams' adviser Steve Kutner said that his client had been offered several jobs before deciding on the Chairboys.

Wycombe director Alan Parry said: "He could maybe have gone to clubs in a higher division but maybe there was something not quite right, but he has found this quite right and we're delighted about that.

"He had a long conversation with Martin O'Neill, who still has a great affection for this football club. He sang the praises of Wycombe and sold the place.

"When Lawrie Sanchez moved on we had a stack of applicants. We whittled them down and had some very worthy candidates.

"Tony was on the shortlist and when we interviewed him he was very impressive. We had the same feelings when Martin O'Neill walked in here.

"He is not the average up-and-coming manager. There is something very different about him," added Parry.

Wycombe are bottom of Division Two with 11 points from 17 games.

Archived