IGNORED

Bradford Park Ave

Rocky

Those of us of a certain vintage will remember Bradford Park Avenue as a Football League team in the old 4th division.

Indeed, I saw them play on several occasions. They used to have a very good right sided midfield player called Albert (?) Parry, who was notable at the time for being just about the only black footballer in the entire League.

They finally got kicked out of the League in 1970. At that time, there was no relegation from the 4th. Other teams used to vote at the end of each season whether or not they wanted the team that finished bottom to stay in the League or not. The old boy network was such that no-one ever got chucked out. But Bradford finished bottom so often and were so clearly rubbish, that eventually they got the boot.

And the team that replaced them, from the old Northern Premier League. They're now top of the First. Wigan Athletic.

Those of us of a certain vintage will remember Bradford Park Avenue as a Football League team in the old 4th division.

Indeed, I saw them play on several occasions. They used to have a very good right sided midfield player called Albert (?) Parry, who was notable at the time for being just about the only black footballer in the entire League.

They finally got kicked out of the League in 1970. At that time, there was no relegation from the 4th. Other teams used to vote at the end of each season whether or not they wanted the team that finished bottom to stay in the League or not. The old boy network was such that no-one ever got chucked out. But Bradford finished bottom so often and were so clearly rubbish, that eventually they got the boot.

And the team that replaced them, from the old Northern Premier League. They're now top of the First. Wigan Athletic.

I think you will find that Cambridge replaced them

Archived