IGNORED

A View From Further West

Guest Efford Boy

Guest Efford Boy

The threads on this board are being read with interest here in Plymouth and

Cornwall.

Someone`s cut and pasted some of the messages on one of our sites, under the heading `Bristol - A club in crisis`. I think that`s probably pushing things a bit far, but it`s entertaining stuff none the less.

I watched awe struck as you progressed through your long unbeaten run but it seems that neither club nor fans seemed mentally prepared for a bad spell.

At Argyle, Paul Sturrock worked hard throughout his reign to try keep everyone`s feet firmly on the ground and the acting manager Kevin Summerfield does the same.

We`ve had it drummed into us that this a league where "everyone is capable of beating each other". We didn`t even get carried away with our seven goal destruction of Chesterfield at Christmas.

Reading some of your recent local press coverage, it seems that City and Wilson let the unbeaten run go to their heads, culminating with Wilson`s snide comments when Sturrock left us.

Some of your fans also seem to think that they have a divine right to be in Division One. It doesn`t surprise me that this recent sequence of 4 points from the last five matches seems to be doing their heads in.

Next Wednesday, you play your match in hand at Tranmere.

Then there is the small matter of Port Vale (A) QPR (H) Swindon (A). If you win this lot, then you`ll deserve that second promotion place.

Can`t see it happening though.

If we keep grubbing out the points in the next few weeks from the Wrexhams and the Barnsleys, then we could conceivably win promotion with a victory at Ashton Gate on April 13.

Now that`s a lovely thought.

At Argyle, Paul Sturrock worked hard throughout his reign to try keep everyone`s feet firmly on the ground ..............We didn`t even get carried away with our seven goal destruction of Chesterfield at Christmas.

Really? So Mr Sturrock didn't claim after that game, that playing Plymuff would be everyones cup final?

Then there is the small matter of Port Vale (A) QPR (H) Swindon (A). If you win this lot, then you`ll deserve that second promotion place.

Oh I see. You've already won the league so we're only playing for second? Good to see that you're keeping your feet firmly on the ground there then.

Wilson`s snide comments when Sturrock left us. 

Care to elaborate on that one?

Would you kindly bog off back to Cornwall and munch your pasties please.

I agree with some of your points, just bear this is mind, for months (all but 2 weeks), we've had plymouth & qpr fans on our boards boasting about auto promotion, deciding who would win, come 2nd, moaning about our late goals (which seems to have gone very quiet for some reason?) etc...

Alot of your supporters believe you have a devine right to the 1st - well you don't!

We have put up with the "boom & bust" approach to football for the 4th season running. Don't come on here patronisng us!

Yep at the moment we look to be following the normal collapse to the season but with a goal scorer things could still change!

We must have the worst striker/goal ratio in this division but are still 3rd. But then again if we signed Thierry (spelling?) Henry DW would likely stick him in goal!

Guest Efford Boy

Stucider,

I don`t remember an awful lot about the boss`s comments after the Chesterfield game. But `their cup final` was a sensible enough thing to say. Players and fans took it as a warning that every game was going to be a tough one. That`s not being triumphalist. It`s being realistic.

When Sturrock left us for Southampton, Wilson made comments to the effect that our loss was city`s gain. Knowing our players, they probably have the cutttings pinned to the dressing room wall.

The two promotion spots will be between ourselves, QPR and City. Win the 4 `pressure` games that you have in the next few weeks and you`ll deserve to go up. I may be wrong but I can`t see it happening. It`s as simple as that. Again, just trying to be realistic.

Finally, we enjoy munching pasties in Cornwall, especially when the sun`s out, shining on the River Tamar. It`s what`s known as `quality of life`. The far south west is now the UK`s most popular holiday destination and we`re lucky enough to live here. You`re welcome to visit any time. The pasties are particularly good in a village called Mullion on the Lizard.

With regards to the Cup Final comments, I did infact find them to an overly arrogant comment by Sturrock, implying that everyone will see their game against Plymuff as the biggest of their season. Not at all realistic really.

Wilson's comments were in no way 'snide', and to use your favourite saying, were nothing but realistic. Of course it is going to benefit us that one of the better managers in the league has left one of our promotion rivals - that goes without saying, surely? :D

I'll leave the pasties, but thanks anyway. I think i'll stick to carrot munching..... :angry:

Guest WillsbridgeRed

Normally I'm very welcoming to away fans but nows not the time - Dissapear you inbred farmer and go bother QPR fans. We have more important things too worry about

Archived