IGNORED

Players To Leave In The Summer

westonred

If (or should i say when) we get promotion to the promised land of 'The Championship' which of the current 1st team squad do you think will be released in the summer ??

Here's a few names for starters

Woodman

Murray

Russell

Smith

Partridge

:city: :goingup: :city:

C.T.I.D

If (or should i say when) we get promotion to the promised land of 'The Championship' which of the current 1st team squad do you think will be released in the summer ??

Woodman Yes

Murray No

Russell No

Smith Yes

Partridge No

C.T.I.D

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! Not Murray, and did you know we've never lost a game that Russell has started in.

I bump into Scotty quite often in Weston in the summer months and have had a couple nights drinking with him so i wouldn't want to see him go (and he's promised me his shirt at the end of the season don't forget that Scotty if your reading this) but GJ may want to clear the decks for new players..

As for Russell i think he's an awesome player but he will be another year older and could he cope with Championship football

Guest knapper

Woodman YES

Murray NO

Russell NO

Smith YES

Partridge YES

C.T.I.D

As for Russell i think he's an awesome player but he will be another year older and could he cope with Championship football

I would agree with that and i'm not sure why he inst picked more often, his passing is pretty good and he inst scared of a tackle also has a tidy shot on him

Orr - Distribution not good enough for next level up

Woodman - Not good enough

McCombe - Too Slow

Murray - Too old, not good enough last time around

Brooker - Too injury prone

Jevons - Not quick enough to trouble better defenses

Betsy - Not good enough for the league below us!

Russel - Too old

Smith - See Betsy

Partridge - Not in plans

Wilson - Not good enough

McCombe - Too Slow

Russel - Too old

Smith - See Betsy

Partridge - Not in plans

Wilson - Not good enough

Shall we just get rid of the entire squad and start with a whole new set of 22-23 players then? Bit unfair with some(most) of them!

Shall we just get rid of the entire squad and start with a whole new set of 22-23 players then? Bit unfair with some(most) of them!

I remember the last time we went up and in clouded grandeur started building from the front while opposition strikers attacked our cullinder like defence and we were relegated.

No time for sentiment, if this squad reaches the promised land it will require a major overhaul to even stay there

And which ones exactly are unfair?

Murray and possibly Russell to stay, depending on what league we are in, both still have plenty of quality and good expereince, both also have a spot on attitude as well.

players to leave though,

Woodman - hasn't really pushed on and established himself this season

Parto - not in long term plans

Smith - like him alot, but unsure if he has the quality for league one

apart from them any fringe young players I think and that's about it, we have the basis of a very good squad

I remember the last time we went up and in clouded grandeur started building from the front while opposition strikers attacked our cullinder like defence and we were relegated.

No time for sentiment, if this squad reaches the promised land it will require a major overhaul to even stay there

Orr: Distribution has improved alot and will keep improving

McCombe: He doesnt need pace, he has kept alot of strikers quiet this season and can do it next season

Murray: Wasnt that he wasnt good enough, the man who signed him left, then the next manager didnt like him

Brooker: ! season out through injuries. Doesnt mean he is going to to the same next season.

Jevons: Has good skill on him and a good shot. Wouldnt need pace alot of the time.

Russell: Experience. Cal do well at that level.

Partridge: Not in plans because for this season weve got a settled defence. Would excel in the championship if given the chance.

Bad arguement IMO, yes we did spent almost millions on our front 2 last time, but we have got a much better defence this time around.

You only need to look at Colchester and reading to see that you don't need to rip a club apart to make it in the Championship, maybe just maybe that league would better suit our squad?

Plus we have got a good team spirit at the moment, adding 5/7 new players may ruin it.

Guest hutch

McCombe - Too Slow

Russel - Too old

Smith - See Betsy

Partridge - Not in plans

Wilson - Not good enough

I agree with Orr, Woody, Murray, Smith & Partridge.

Brooker was player of the year last season, obviously he has been unfortunate with the way this season has

gone but I do think he is worth keeping. Jamie McCombe, along with Louis, has been our most consistant player and

Wilson and Betsy have to be given some games to bed-in to the team. Russell has never let the team down.

Jevo's lack of form and confidence is a mystery and I'm not sure whether he would be able to hack it in the

Championship.

Guest Nicko

McCombe - Too Slow

Russel - Too old

Smith - See Betsy

Partridge - Not in plans

Wilson - Not good enough

MURRAY...... not good enought last time round???? I believe the whole squad at that time wasn't good enough, you can't single out players as being the whole teams demise. He done fine at reading in the championship and easily slotted in. Murray's one you best most dangerous players when he's on his game..

MURRAY...... not good enought last time round???? I believe the whole squad at that time wasn't good enough, you can't single out players as being the whole teams demise. He done fine at reading in the championship and easily slotted in. Murray's one you best most dangerous players when he's on his game..

I think he meant he didnt think Murray wasnt good enough when he was at Reading.

Guest Barneyredballs

I'm sorry, but I have to question the concerns about Orr. I agree his distribution can be questionned, but I think if you keep a good eye on him, his distribution is actually fairly good; especially on the deck. He often plays intelligent balls to feet; but his crossing is poor.

In terms of defence, he is big, strong, fairly quick and totally committed. Remember Matty Hill, his distribution at times was dire. Often found the stands, rather than red shirts.

Solid championship player (one of the few who have left City in last 5 years to achieve the step up), I think Orr can do the same and honestly believe that if keeps improving at current rate; could well be hard to keep hold of in a year or two.

Don't let him take penalties though! ;)

Orr: Distribution has improved alot and will keep improving

McCombe: He doesnt need pace, he has kept alot of strikers quiet this season and can do it next season

Murray: Wasnt that he wasnt good enough, the man who signed him left, then the next manager didnt like him

Brooker: ! season out through injuries. Doesnt mean he is going to to the same next season.

Jevons: Has good skill on him and a good shot. Wouldnt need pace alot of the time.

Russell: Experience. Cal do well at that level.

Partridge: Not in plans because for this season weve got a settled defence. Would excel in the championship if given the chance.

So based on your argument a team in the championship requires little to no pace and doesn't matter if you can pass the ball!!

Believe me the quality of striker in the championship is well above what we are used to, if you have no pace you have no championship future, you cannot expect championship midfielders/defences to just lump the ball forward onto a center halves head as they do in this division!

So based on your argument a team in the championship requires little to no pace and doesn't matter if you can pass the ball!!

Believe me the quality of striker in the championship is well above what we are used to, if you have no pace you have no championship future, you cannot expect championship midfielders/defences to just lump the ball forward onto a center halves head as they do in this division!

Darren Moore of Derby? Not seen him play? And we have pace in the team, Murray still has pace, Betsy has pace when he uses it, JMW has pace in abundance, Johnson has pace (for a midfielder). McCallister isnt the Slowest, neither is Brooker. We definatly have a squad capable enough, with the addition of 2 or 3 players, to finish mid-table-ish IMO in the championship next season.

I think that it's a useful idea to look at how other clubs have got on when promoted... As Badger mentioned, Colchester are probably the team we should be looking to emulate if we're lucky enough to go up this season. Another good example is Bristol rugby. I think that a lot of our success this season has been based on the team spirit - exemplified by our scoring of late winners etc - and to rip that up would be to undo a lot of the good work that's got us where we are. Bristol haven't signed any big names since their promotion to the Guinness Premiership, but they really are a team that is greater than the sum of its parts. Colchester are the same, and I think that it's what we should strive for as well.

Losing players such as Orr and Aggy without giving the squad as a whole a chance in The Championship - much as I agree with some of the comments about pace, distribution etc - would not be a great idea imho.

funny thing i heard was woodman went to see GJ about going out on loan around new year and was told by GJ not to go anywhere because he was in his plans soon.

Possibly because at that time there was injuries and suspensions looming? I don't think GJ would have left it this long. Its a shame we cant produce a decent natural left back like southampton have with Gareth Bale. Nothing against Woody but hes not exactly the best is he. His heart is definatly in for the cause and so is the passion and enthusiasm, but, unfortnately, he just hasnt got enough ability for a top-of-the-table league 1 club, let alone championship club I'm afraid.

Possibly because at that time there was injuries and suspensions looming? I don't think GJ would have left it this long. Its a shame we cant produce a decent natural left back like southampton have with Gareth Bale. Nothing against Woody but hes not exactly the best is he. His heart is definatly in for the cause and so is the passion and enthusiasm, but, unfortnately, he just hasnt got enough ability for a top-of-the-table league 1 club, let alone championship club I'm afraid.

Isn't Martin Slocombe a left back? he signed professional forms on Saturday and I thought that's what they said about him.

Additionally I would keep Russell for the experience he can pass on to Cole Skuse alone, I see him as a very useful squad player.

Darren Moore of Derby? Not seen him play? And we have pace in the team, Murray still has pace, Betsy has pace when he uses it, JMW has pace in abundance, Johnson has pace (for a midfielder). McCallister isnt the Slowest, neither is Brooker. We definatly have a squad capable enough, with the addition of 2 or 3 players, to finish mid-table-ish IMO in the championship next season.

Do you honestly think Betsy is good enough? From what I have seen he is not even good enough for this level!! Darren Moor is a damn site faster than McCombe.

Brooker I believe is neither quick enough or skillfull enough. The others apart from Murray I agree with you, I think for a comfortable mid table championship finish we should be looking at bringing in at least 4 maybe 5 players BETTER THAN WE ALREADY HAVE

From those under contract, I would say that Woodman and Partridge are on their way.

Russell for me was going, however he really did impress me on Saturday. Murray has that extra spark we need and could be a great squad player and Smith has only just signed.

Fringe players like Benyon may be on their way, however I would imagine players like JMW, Smith, Artus etc to go out on loan should new players come in.

McCombe - Too Slow

Crazy stuff. McCombe could be our player of the season and we have one of the meaniest defences in the country!

And as for Brooker - one season does not make a swan. I'm sure Newcastle will be selling Owen in the summer then.

Crazy stuff. McCombe could be our player of the season and we have one of the meaniest defences in the country!

And as for Brooker - one season does not make a swan. I'm sure Newcastle will be selling Owen in the summer then.

No room for sentiment I'm afraid, I agree that McCombe could be our player of the year however that does not mean he could do it again against, better, quiker, cuter attackers, just my opinion though

Brooker's second touch is too often a sliding tackle, against better players I believe he will struggle, again just my opinion

No room for sentiment I'm afraid, I agree that McCombe could be our player of the year however that does not mean he could do it again against, better, quiker, cuter attackers, just my opinion though

Brooker's second touch is too often a sliding tackle, against better players I believe he will struggle, again just my opinion

Thats fair enough, but a (god hope so) promoted side would be crazy to move on arguably their best defender and striker without giving them a chance.

a lot of crazy stuff on this thread.

Murray - must stay, only went wrong at Reading when Manager changed and he had to play wing back in a system that did not suit him.

Russell - as classly a midfielder as city has had in recent years and a super fit guy who looks after himself off the pitch, will be a fantastic squad player for next season.

McCombe - you are havin a laugh!! he of all our team is the most likely to go all the way to the top. odd mistake, but huge threat up front and with his big stides does not get beaten for pace. will only improve in time.

to go: Jevo, Woody, Betsey.

Can any stato tell us which players contracts are up this summer?

We might then be better equiped to speculate about which players might not be AG next season.

Keogh is definately, as is Weale - think Partridge, JMW, and possibly Orr are aswell.

Would be sad to see Keogh & JMW go, both of whom could cut it at the next level, but Orr & Partridge have not shown enough consistency during the past two seasons, regardless of their work rate, to command a place in a Championship side with ambitions of getting a mid-table finish. Can't say much for Weale, but then he's hardly played!

Guest Barneyredballs
Keogh is definately, as is Weale - think Partridge, JMW, and possibly Orr are aswell.

Would be sad to see Keogh & JMW go, both of whom could cut it at the next level, but Orr & Partridge have not shown enough consistency during the past two seasons, regardless of their work rate, to command a place in a Championship side with ambitions of getting a mid-table finish. Can't say much for Weale, but then he's hardly played!

Orr isn't. Summer 2008. Partridge isn't. Summer 2008.

Keogh, Carey, Russell are all out of c. Murray also appears to be by profile on site. Not sure about JMW\Weale - don't think so.

It would be nice of the club to be clear about contracts etc if poss :)

Orr isn't. Summer 2008. Partridge isn't. Summer 2008.

Keogh, Carey, Russell are all out of c. Murray also appears to be by profile on site. Not sure about JMW\Weale - don't think so.

It would be nice of the club to be clear about contracts etc if poss :)

JMW signed a one year contract, as did all the scholars, as did Weale, with the option of a 2nd year if he played a certain number of games, which I somehow doubt he has...

McCombe - Too Slow

Russel - Too old

Smith - See Betsy

Partridge - Not in plans

Wilson - Not good enough

Spot on. At last, somebody who see's the same as me and alot of others!

Giles 23 BCFC, i totally disagree about Betsy being good enough for the championship. He's crap. End of. Frenchred, i think McCombe and brooker are worth a try in the championship as brooker has the pace and strength (when fit) and McCombe has been awesome this season. Russel and Murray would be good squad players with Murray possibly a starter or brought on from the bench. I love Orr's passion and its clear he loves playing his football at City, i think we should try him in the championship as his willingness to suceed may see him make the grade. You are spot on with the others.

Guest ashtonyate

Woodman go

Murray 1 year contract

Russell 1 year contract

Smith gone

Partridge gone

C.T.I.D

What concerns me more is who we get we need 2 good quality foward not savage or smiths types someone with a track record of putting the ball in the back of the net My big surprise would be to see Basso go to a bigger club just a feeling the way he has been playing

JMW signed a one year contract, as did all the scholars, as did Weale, with the option of a 2nd year if he played a certain number of games, which I somehow doubt he has...

I'm pretty sure JMW signed a three or four year deal along with Wilson and Artus, the rest of those graduates were on one year.

Out of contract at end of season:

Murray

Basso

Carey

Keogh

Woodman

Russell unless he's started 30 games in which case he has another year I think

Weale technically though we have the option to extend

Grubb

Wring

Benyon

Ballard

Smith

My predictions:

Carey will sign his new deal soon.

Basso will get another two years, Keogh will be offered two or three. Both should sign I think, they both seem very happy here.

Woodman, Smith, Grubb, Benyon, Ballard and Wring will be released.

Russell and Murray will likely be given an extra year possibly with coaching.

Weale will be extended by a year or given a new contract once he's successfully recovered from having his bolts out.

Showunmi will go back to Luton.

Partridge will go to anyone who wants him since he's fifth or sixth choice.

Of the squad that leaves us with, the only player I'd have concerns about at the level above is Betsy who seems to be struggling at this level. I think we'd need to sign two strikers and strengthen the left side but if we do that I think we'd be good for mid table. We don't want too many comings and going because the squad's unity has seemed to be a great strength this season.

Disagree about the Championship being significantly better than League 1. Ok, there'll be a small number of good teams at the top, but beyond that it's definately possible for a good League 1 team (like us) to survive comfortably.

Looking at the promoted sides recently, most have invested next to nothing (financially) in the team after promotion (mostly because they have been small sides like Colchester, Luton etc with few resources).

Going back to the last time we went up, we made some biggish investments in the summer and finished bottom. Watford, who were on the same level as the season before, invested far less and went straight up to the Prem. I reckon this shows that good organisation and management can get you a long way in the Championship, as it can in League 1. With a small number of smart acquisitions (not necessarily breaking the bank) we could finish a comfortable mid-table with what we've got.

Do you honestly think Betsy is good enough? From what I have seen he is not even good enough for this level!! Darren Moor is a damn site faster than McCombe.

Brooker I believe is neither quick enough or skillfull enough. The others apart from Murray I agree with you, I think for a comfortable mid table championship finish we should be looking at bringing in at least 4 maybe 5 players BETTER THAN WE ALREADY HAVE

Matt Jackson of Wigan isn't faster than McCombe :)

My predictions:

Basso will get another two years,

I thought Russell's clause was for 30 appearances, not starts, in which case he got there a few weeks ago. Valauble as he's been for us I can't see him as worth a deal in The Championship, but we have to honour our word.

The official site now says Basso is under contract until 2008, so I guess he must have signed a year's extension at some time and it wasn't made public.

The official site now says Basso is under contract until 2008, so I guess he must have signed a year's extension at some time and it wasn't made public.

I agree that text has definitely been changed in the last few months.

He signed what was reported as a one and a half year deal after his short term contract, perhaps it had a right to extend in? Or it could be an error.

He's certainly done well enough to be worth longer anyway.

Matt Jackson of Wigan isn't faster than McCombe :)

Both Matt Jackson and John Terry have played or is playing (JT) at the highest level, their reading of the game is significantly better than those who have appeared all their career in the lower divisions. When you have a limited reading of the game (McCombe) pace can be used to disguise this to a certain degree, when you don't have the pace as well then you are struggling at the higher level

Murray wont be going now I don't think as Gary said "Even though he isnt playing at the moment he is great to have around, always playing pranks and its great to see."

Or something along those lines.

How anyone can say McCombe who has been one of the best players this season in the league should go is clueless in my opinion. Yes OK he lacks a bit of pace but Carey makes up for that and you will often see Carey taking the smaller pacey striker and McCombe taking the usal target man that most clubs have. He deserves a chance at least.

Orr is 100%er I hope he does not go maybe get in another right back but other than some dodgy crossing which a lot of right backs suffer from at the next level and the premiership he is decent enough. IMO.

Russell I think will go shame because he is one of my fave players but age is a bit of a worry and don't belive he has ever tasted Championship football.

Betsy and Jevo in my opinion wont be good enough however I cant see Betsy going anywhere. I would get rid of Enoch as well I'm afraid just don't think he has the mental atitude to make the step up I don't know if others will agree or not.

Murray wont be going now I don't think as Gary said "Even though he isnt playing at the moment he is great to have around, always playing pranks and its great to see."

Or something along those lines.

How anyone can say McCombe who has been one of the best players this season in the league should go is clueless in my opinion. Yes OK he lacks a bit of pace but Carey makes up for that and you will often see Carey taking the smaller pacey striker and McCombe taking the usal target man that most clubs have. He deserves a chance at least.

Well that should fill us with confidence then, don't forget Carey is also one of those who have already failed at the championship level.

Orr is 100%er I hope he does not go maybe get in another right back but other than some dodgy crossing which a lot of right backs suffer from at the next level and the premiership he is decent enough. IMO.

Agree he is a 100%er, so is are the guys who play right back up the downs week in week out, but that doesn't make them good enough, or does it?

Russell I think will go shame because he is one of my fave players but age is a bit of a worry and don't belive he has ever tasted Championship football.

Betsy and Jevo in my opinion wont be good enough however I cant see Betsy going anywhere. I would get rid of Enoch as well I'm afraid just don't think he has the mental atitude to make the step up I don't know if others will agree or not.

Agree with that

Lets look at things as who would stay...according to GJ.

Basso Weale

Orr Wilson Carey Keogh McCombe Fontaine McAllister

Betsy Wilson Johnson Skuse Noble Artus

Brooker Jevons Plummer.

Thats 18 to start with. Border line cases are JM Williams, Murray and Russell. Of the starting 18, I don't think Betsy or Jevons are good enough, but they are GJ signings and will probably get the benefit of his judgement.

I would sign two strikers and the best left winger available, for a squad of 21. I would have in place a better reserve game schedule, with more games than the pitiful amount we've been "managed" to have. We can try out the best of the academy, locals and trialist all season in case we have a major injury crisis.

First year in, we have to be solid, not spectacular. Build on our current strengths, score some damn goals, and sign some absolute top grade strikers and left flanker. Forget this 150k for a never was Betsy, waste of money. We will need to dig deep and spend some real money for the 3 aforementioned requirements.

Lets get it done.

"Failed"

Did Coventry not change manager or was that Reading during Murrays stint?

Niether player really got given a proper go I know that much anyway and I am sure most Coventry fans were suprised by his sale.

Like I said about Orr though he is not slow, he can pass the ball on the deck and he can put in a decent tackle, I just think he deserves the chance but maybe get in another right back to cover him or maybe get in someone else so Orr can cover, we are going to need numbers next year you cant just rip a squad apart.

Both Matt Jackson and John Terry have played or is playing (JT) at the highest level, their reading of the game is significantly better than those who have appeared all their career in the lower divisions. When you have a limited reading of the game (McCombe) pace can be used to disguise this to a certain degree, when you don't have the pace as well then you are struggling at the higher level

I fail to see McCombe's limited reading of the game, and by your logic, as most of our team have spent their careers in the lower leagues, they will not be good enough for the Championship. Colchester anyone?

"Failed"

Did Coventry not change manager or was that Reading during Murrays stint?

Niether player really got given a proper go I know that much anyway and I am sure most Coventry fans were suprised by his sale.

Like I said about Orr though he is not slow, he can pass the ball on the deck and he can put in a decent tackle, I just think he deserves the chance but maybe get in another right back to cover him or maybe get in someone else so Orr can cover, we are going to need numbers next year you cant just rip a squad apart.

Whats with this 'they never failed the club changed manager' Do you honestly think if Mourino left Chelsea, Terry, Lampard, Czech and Cole would go, no, of course not.

They were not good enough simple.

Murray was already benched before the new man came in (Look at the stats) and Carey was in and out never a permanent fixture

I fail to see McCombe's limited reading of the game, and by your logic, as most of our team have spent their careers in the lower leagues, they will not be good enough for the Championship. Colchester anyone?

That is indeed my logic, if the club wants to keep moving forward we will require big changes

They were not good enough simple.

Carey was in and out never a permanent fixture

Completely incorrect, Carey left Coventry after 25 games of the season, and he had started 23 of them. Hardly a bit part player, was he?

The change in manager there (Reid out, Adams in) saw the latter agree to his return to Bristol as he couldn't settle.

How much have we benefited from that this season?

Completely incorrect, Carey left Coventry after 25 games of the season, and he had started 23 of them. Hardly a bit part player, was he?

The change in manager there (Reid out, Adams in) saw the latter agree to his return to Bristol as he couldn't settle.

How much have we benefited from that this season?

We have benefited magnificently from that and in my opinion we have little to worry about with Carey in the higher division

That is indeed my logic, if the club wants to keep moving forward we will require big changes

I fail to see how you can be so definate in your ways.

There is no proof that these players cannot hack it at a higher level. Teams such as QPR, Wigan, Reading, Colchester, Hull, and Cardiff have all shown they are capable of fighting at a higher level, with many of their players having never played above League 1 before - even with Luton, they were doing fine this season until they sold marksman Steve Howard, who joined them when still in League 1...

I can't understand how anyone who's watched McCombe this season could possibly think he would struggle at the next level.

His reading of the game is excellent as shown by the number of interceptions he makes, he has great aerial strength, he's comfortable on the deck and makes some great challenges - just like on Saturday. He might not be the quickest accelerating but once he's moving he's not exactly a slouch either.

Pace simply is not the be all and end all, particularly when a player of McCombe's obvious strengths is paired with someone that complements them like Carey or Fontaine. There are some quick strikers in the Championship, there are also some strong strikers - McCombe will obviously do better against the latter but he's coped well enough with players like Tyson, Hoskins and Sharp this season and there aren't many better at the next level.

Some of the greatest centre halves we've seen in England have not been quick. Tony Adams, Sami Hyppia, Gary Pallister. It's early days in Jamie McCombe's career but the consistency and ability he's shown this season lead me to think that if he keeps developing he could play at the next level or even the one above that.

I fail to see how you can be so definate in your ways.

There is no proof that these players cannot hack it at a higher level. Teams such as QPR, Wigan, Reading, Colchester, Hull, and Cardiff have all shown they are capable of fighting at a higher level, with many of their players having never played above League 1 before - even with Luton, they were doing fine this season until they sold marksman Steve Howard, who joined them when still in League 1...

Wigan and Cardiff spent bloody fortunes!!

I can't understand how anyone who's watched McCombe this season could possibly think he would struggle at the next level.

His reading of the game is excellent as shown by the number of interceptions he makes, he has great aerial strength, he's comfortable on the deck and makes some great challenges - just like on Saturday. He might not be the quickest accelerating but once he's moving he's not exactly a slouch either.

Pace simply is not the be all and end all, particularly when a player of McCombe's obvious strengths is paired with someone that complements them like Carey or Fontaine. There are some quick strikers in the Championship, there are also some strong strikers - McCombe will obviously do better against the latter but he's coped well enough with players like Tyson, Hoskins and Sharp this season and there aren't many better at the next level.

Some of the greatest centre halves we've seen in England have not been quick. Tony Adams, Sami Hyppia, Gary Pallister. It's early days in Jamie McCombe's career but the consistency and ability he's shown this season lead me to think that if he keeps developing he could play at the next level or even the one above that.

Nibor, I agree with what you say regarding McCombe this year, it is JUST MY OPINION, that he MAY struggle against the better attackers next year, yes he will be ok against the strikers from the lesser teams such as Hull, QPR and Plymouth, my worries are about when he comes up against big, powerful quick strikers like King, Zamora, Kuqi, McSheffery, Freedman, Bent etc I feel he may be found wanting, hopefully I am wrong

Nibor, I agree with what you say regarding McCombe this year, it is JUST MY OPINION, that he MAY struggle against the better attackers next year, yes he will be ok against the strikers from the lesser teams such as Hull, QPR and Plymouth, my worries are about when he comes up against big, powerful quick strikers like King, Zamora, Kuqi, McSheffery, Freedman, Bent etc I feel he may be found wanting, hopefully I am wrong

You might be right in the first season, but I'd say that strikers that good are few and far between even in the Championship, and if we go up mid table would be a massive achievement - we're not looking for the playoffs just yet.

The thing that makes me most optimistic is that we have a good, fairly young squad with superb attitudes, and playing at a higher level against better opposition makes players improve. I think we've got enough with a few quality additions up front and wide left to stay there and carry on improving.

Guest Barneyredballs
I'm pretty sure JMW signed a three or four year deal along with Wilson and Artus, the rest of those graduates were on one year.

Out of contract at end of season:

Murray

Basso

Carey

Keogh

Woodman

Weale technically though we have the option to extend

Grubb

Wring

Benyon

Ballard

Smith

My predictions:

Carey will sign his new deal soon.

Basso will get another two years, Keogh will be offered two or three. Both should sign I think, they both seem very happy here.

Woodman, Smith, Grubb, Benyon, Ballard and Wring will be released.

Russell and Murray will likely be given an extra year possibly with coaching.

Weale will be extended by a year or given a new contract once he's successfully recovered from having his bolts out.

Showunmi will go back to Luton.

Partridge will go to anyone who wants him since he's fifth or sixth choice.

Of the squad that leaves us with, the only player I'd have concerns about at the level above is Betsy who seems to be struggling at this level. I think we'd need to sign two strikers and strengthen the left side but if we do that I think we'd be good for mid table. We don't want too many comings and going because the squad's unity has seemed to be a great strength this season.

I would urge caution on cutting Showunmi loose. No question he is raw, no question he isn't strong enough; but his stats say alot about him

74 starts - 27 goals - a goal every 2.74 games.

Brooker - 210 starts - 72 goals - a goal every 2.91 games

Jevons - 298 starts - 84 goals - a goal every 3.54 games

He has played less than 4 seasons of Proffessional football and I beleive that was on the back of entering football very late.

If we could for once coach a striker to fulfill his potential, who knows what could be coming over the hill in a couple of years time?

I would urge caution on cutting Showunmi loose. No question he is raw, no question he isn't strong enough; but his stats say alot about him

He has played less than 4 seasons of Proffessional football and I beleive that was on the back of entering football very late.

If we could for once coach a striker to fulfill his potential, who knows what could be coming over the hill in a couple of years time?

Barney,

Agree with you regarding Enoch. Saw him at Coventry, after Jevons went off and he played up with Brooker. OK, so coventry lacked confidence at the time, but these were championship defenders and they couldn't cope with him. He should be scaring defenders 5h1tle55 but for most of time he plays like a pussy. he needs proper coaching and GJ needs to tell him to apply his strength and power and play with more controlled aggression .

I don't think he will ever be an out and out goalscorer, but with his strength and power, a touch of experience and a good goalscorer alongside him, he could become an immense player for us.

Well, the reason I think Showunmi will go is that I think he's fallen out of favour with GJ. Speculation entirely on my part, I did say it was a prediction :).

My view on him as a player is that he plays immensely something like one in five games and other than that he's poor.

If someone gives him a whack early on he disappears, loses the confidence to run at defenders and doesn't challenge well in the air.

Perhaps we're not playing to his strengths, because despite his height he doesn't win many productive headers or hold the ball up well. He seems better with the ball in front of him. If he's high on confidence and noone's clattered him he can be a right pain in the arse with the ball at his feet, it just doesn't happen often enough for me.

He's only played four seasons but he's 25 this month, if he hasn't got consistent by now I don't think he will. He also averages less than 20 starts a season and has a poor injury record.

I think he might be useful as someone to make an impact off the bench but I don't see him as a starting striker in a Championship side at all to be honest. It will be interesting to see if he's still part of GJ's plans for next season.

I hope Smith gets a full game to prove himself before the Summer, as there is every chance he could be released then.

I appreciate we need to rely on our experienced pros at this crucial stage of the season, but, lets face it, Enoch and Jevo ain't making the grade at the moment, and you know Smith will chase everything.

I was wrong about him starting and scoring against Yeovil, but I'd love to see him get a proper crack of the whip before the season is out.

I don't think it's appropriate the name names just yet although I will do in the end of season review for the ST Site.

However in terms of numbers including the younger squad memberssuch as Artus etc and current short term contracts and loanees :

I would say about 11 out and about 5-7 in.

Only one caveat: The players in should be automatic first team choices when fit and in form.

It's about quality and I'd rather SL made £5-7m available for team building as opposed to stand building next season.

Now answered, sorry I took a while

Hull are struggling by the way, hardly moving forward are they, and watch Colchester next year!

Thats ok. :blush:

Just have to agree to disagree then.

I think that Carey deserves another chance. He was not even given a full season. Does not mean he is not good enough.

Tevez for example, would you say that he is not of Premiership class? Even though he has been pretty dissapointing at times this season. Just a example.

Steve Brooker must be pull his finger out next season or we will be getting rid of him...

Bas savage has scored more goals than Brooks this season that says it all

C.T.I.D

I think Brooker will be moved on at the end of the season to be honest. He hasn't really contributed this season due to his lack of fitness and I don't think that's gone unnoticed by GJ...

And I'd expect him to be joined by Woodman, Smith, Partridge, Russell, Murray, and maybe someone like Orr or Fontaine

We need to replace all three strikers if we go up, and a good tough tacking midfielder, and if such a thing can be found a left winger. defence is ok, and I reckon the midfield will be given a chance to prove 'emselves

woody and Parto are the only definite departures I suspect though

We need to replace all three strikers if we go up, and a good tough tacking midfielder, and if such a thing can be found a left winger. defence is ok, and I reckon the midfield will be given a chance to prove 'emselves

woody and Parto are the only definite departures I suspect though

Yes agreed about the strikers, Heres three i would like.... Leroy Lita to come back to play along side Billy Sharp and that guy Popisil from Hearts we tried to sign

C.T.I.D

Archived