IGNORED

The Official Gary Johnson Quote Thread

Sir Colby-Tit

Previously we have had such gems as

If Fontaine scores I'll bare my behind in Burtons window

I am a Championship Manager, but you can't treat it like the computer game, Championship Manager

And today's offering in the Green 'Un

Keith does all the work on the computer stuff.....it is still a chalkboard for me. It is Milly that does it because I haven't got a clue. I just know the on and off button, and even then I can't find that sometimes

Please use this thread to quote all the fantastic Johnsonisms that he is sure to utter this season, and any other good ones I've forgotten.

Previously we have had such gems as

And today's offering in the Green 'Un

Please use this thread to quote all the fantastic Johnsonisms that he is sure to utter this season, and any other good ones I've forgotten.

I may be misquoting slightly, and stand to be corrected on the exact wording, but before the game at Brighton last season when we were all marooned miles from the pitch in a scaffold stand he was chatting to some fans at the front and said: "Don't worry. They wheel it forward just before the game starts."

Guest MightyRed

When Enoch was looking doubtful before a match last season: "We'll pump him full of pills and ask him for a big half hour."

When (I think it was) Brooks scored a goal that meant he risked getting his head bashed by oncoming goalkeeper: "It's about wanting to score more than not getting hurt - he doesn't want to not score more than he doesn't want to get hurt."

About the Man City game: "I think Sven's spent a few million more than me over the summer."

About Trundle signing: "I don't normally speak to people over 30, let alone sign them!"

When Enoch was looking doubtful before a match last season: "We'll pump him full of pills and ask him for a big half hour."

Maybe that could explain a few things about Enoch's showing this season! Gary, time to get the pills out again...in fact give him three times as many and you might get a big 90 minutes from him... :fingerscrossed:

Guest LouieDane

When he first cam eTo city he said somthing like this after a bad game and was asked what he'd said to the players after the game: 'I'd have liked to say a lot of things, but if I did i'd probably run out of players after a few weeks so i've got to be careful'

Sigh.... Back on topic.

Just noticed this one that I'd missed on BBC Sport quotes of the week:

"We couldn't have been drawn against a higher-placed team, as they are second to Everton currently."

Gary Johnson's brilliant analysis of the league table after drawing Man City in the Carling Cup.

Sigh.... Back on topic.

"We couldn't have been drawn against a higher-placed team, as they are second to Everton currently."

Gary Johnson's brilliant analysis of the league table after drawing Man City in the Carling Cup.

erm, ...mint! :)

Sigh.... Back on topic.

Except, of course, that it's true. We couldn't have been drawn to a higher-placed team.

Sigh.... Back on topic.

Surprising as it may seem, it appears Gary was spot on with this one. Everton are in the UEFA Cup and so not playing in the the 2nd round. So Man City are in fact the highest placed opposition available.

Well done GJ on this one for 'thinking it through'.

Maybe we should analyse more of his quotes. Perhaps at first they appear baffling, but maybe they hold some unknown truths??? :smartass:

Please, please, please use this thread for Super Gary J quotes only. If you want to have a debate with Robbored about Skeletor use this one

Robbored Skeletor Appreciation Thread

Thank you kindly.

I'm planning on making this thread a best seller & it's all messy.

Edited by Sir Colby-Tit

Oooooh me me I got one!!!

At the end of season awards back in May, GJ was commenting on something about Bradley Orr, and the crowd started chanting "He's an Orr!" and when it quietened down again, Gary turned round and said

"Well I spose we better keep him then!"

Edited by Dollymarie

Evening Post 25.8.07

On Hungarian International Tamas Vasko after his teams 3-1 victory over Italy:

Tamas played very well against the pair of them (Inzhagi & Del Piero)........he is now a couple of inches taller....

On David Noble's return to training as he recovers from a troublesome groin injury:

People say I have forgotten about him, but you do when you haven't seen him for a while

Guest Cider Jaaarn

My favourite from his yeovil days was 'I want them to Mother the goalmouth'.

After conceding too many goals he wanted players to imagine their Mother was in the goal and they should protect her from the ball.

Taken from the Guardian's match report of the Man. City game ;

Gary Johnson, the Bristol City manager, was among their number. "I thought we deserved to go into extra-time," he said. "It's a fine line between success and failure but Macca has seen it and he told me he was just offside. So I punched him."

http://football.guardian.co.uk/Match_Repor...=rss&feed=5

That one is brilliant! :rofl2br:

On the main site GJ says of bringing Basso back

"But Basso played 14 months last year and was only left out through of injury, so he deservedhis mum to see him on television today"

So we are now adopting the Johnsonion calender which is extended by two month any suggestion as to the name of the missing 2 months? Christmas in Bassember perhaps?

From BBc Quotes of the week:

"It is very, very satisfying to be top. We knew Coventry had a game plan to get the ball forward to Dele Adebola very, very quickly. We had to compete and at the same time be very, very strong. It was a very, very good away performance."

Maybe somebody should introduce Bristol City boss, Gary Johnson, to the word 'extremely'?

Seem to remember him saying something along the lines of this last season;

"If we lose, well, i'll just have to go home and kick the cat, win, and ill go home and kick the cat anyway!"

Not a cat lover then our Gary?

Crikey, this suit is B A D !

And green to boot

post-179-1190395055.jpg

Referring to Marvin Elliots swerving winner against Stoke:

"It had so much bend on it that had it not hit the net it would have probably come back round to him."

Anyone else think this thread should be a sticky?

i agree, i love reading this thread. It's very fasinating to be looking down at all his funny quotes. It's good i say.

Guest charisma_cider

After being asked by a Sky reporter about his "after 10 game analysis" Gary replies

"Well after these 10 games we'll look at our position, analyse ourselves as a group and individually, then we'll probably keep it to ourselves and not tell you lot."

Edited by charisma_cider

I may be misquoting slightly, and stand to be corrected on the exact wording, but before the game at Brighton last season when we were all marooned miles from the pitch in a scaffold stand he was chatting to some fans at the front and said: "Don't worry. They wheel it forward just before the game starts."

You're quite correct RedTop, we were there when he said it. I remember that Steve Lansdown was with him when he said it and chuckled along with the rest of us.

On Sproule's goal:

"What a goal that was. It was a fantastic run and a great finish and worthy of being the winning goal. He showed his pace and quality to finish with his swinging (left) foot. Funnily enough that was all he did in the game!"

Guest redrobin

Just watched points west and gary said something along the lines of

when i become england manager i don't want people to remember and say that was the guy who bore his anatomy in a shop window

Guest bcfc-andybuchs
About Carey's accident against Southampton:

"Louis definitley got a broken nose and its actually a bit straighter now!"

Made me chuckle anyway!!

One not mentioned was Gary's references to "having a bite at the cherry" at the end of last season.

The high use of "well" is something that makes me chuckle when hearing GJ

From todays Observer monthly

Johnson was duly appointed Latvia national manager. 'I had to change a country's philosophy and mentality, they were still playing with a sweeper,' he says. 'I think they knew that I was strong, but humble if you like. After six months, the team was Cockney speaking. My only sentence in Latvian was, "Where is my aeroplane?"'

Guest Red Ass

When asked about the injury to Jamie McCombe's back injury:- "When your 6'7" like he is, he has to duck under the doors at Ashton gate, I'm going to call in the carpenters, to higher the doors"

Classic Johno