IGNORED

The Official Gary Johnson Quote Thread

Sir Colby-Tit

Minutes before the kick-off against Palace, when asked whether the floodlight issues had damaged his preparation, he said that he had issued his instructions, and the 'chairman was about to go in an put the 10p in the slot'. I'm still not sure whether he was referring to the players or the lights!

I know this is a Gary Johnson thread, but I just had to put this one from Basso in here because its just genius

(on his penalty save against Watford)

"That save came from God, I asked the Holy Spirit where is he going to kick it? He said left I said thankyou."

Thank God for Basso......literally.

:Believe:

Guest maybe this season

on the 27th september last year, at the city foundation question and answer evening,the same day gary and players were signing copies of the wurzels "one for the bristol city" at a music store in bristol, virgin I think.

gary related this story.

I was signing copies of the wurzels cd this afternoon, when this women carrying her shopping bags comes up to the desk, (she was a big girl you know what I mean), and says "do you sign body parts", well being a bit shocked I said "oh um well yes" at this point the women opens her shopping bag and says "can you sign me leg of lamb then". :noexpression:

From his press conference today:

he was talking about good singers being good performers and likening that to playing football, when he said:

"How many good singers are there in the bath, where they're on their own? I'm magnificent, but put me in front of one or two people and I shrivel up."

He quickly added "perhaps that the wrong phrase to use when talking about the bath"

Guest red and breakfast

On Radio Bristol's post match interview, 2 crackers:

"When we are top of the league, you lot [the media] are all over the place, we lose a couple and are 2nd/3rd and you don't want to know. Not we can expect the place to be crawling with you little ants again!"

and

"you [Radio Bristol] and your listener have been with us through thick and thin!"

Paying tribute to Adriano Basso today:

He allowed his manager to manage, worked hard to improve his game and is now reaping the rewards.

No chance there is some reference to a certain ex City keeper's attitude here I suppose? :innocent06:

"Neil Warnocks got a big nose from all those lies he tells!"

"When Dave asked me when we should present the award to 106 year old Ivy Haines I said we better do it bloody quick!!"

From last nights Player of the Season award ceremony.

Tempers were sometimes only just below boiling point on a very hot day and at one point Palace's Shaun Derry gave Johnson a soaking when he squirted water at him.

"He thought I looked a bit hot and he was trying to cool me down - it was quite a nice shower," said Johnson.

"I just said to him 'see you on Tuesday' and we shook hands."

--------------------------------------------------

bet it was the next tuesday version Gary :bruce_h4h:

• Admin
Tempers were sometimes only just below boiling point on a very hot day and at one point Palace's Shaun Derry gave Johnson a soaking when he squirted water at him.

"He thought I looked a bit hot and he was trying to cool me down - it was quite a nice shower," said Johnson.

Over on the Palace forums they quoted GJ as saying "see you next Tuesday" before the post match interviews were up so may well be the actual version.

Guest BristolButty

After the away lag against crystal palace, myself and a few mates when to AG to congratulate the players when they arrived back.

GJ had been one of the first to leave, but came back, after forgetting something or other.

He reversed to talk to us whilst the coach driver slammed one of the side doors shut.

Gary froze and then sighed.

"Thought I hit somethin' then"

"Shit myself"

Was quality at the time :rofl2br: :rofl2br:

From his press conference before Hull on the World site:

Jonathan Pearce: "So, you're ninety minutes away from playing Ronaldo and Rooney"

GJ: "That's if we don't buy them of course."

Interviewer: "You've only been here a short time, what did you have to change to get where you are now?"

GJ: "The players"

That would be C U Next Tuesday.....!! (It's an abbreviation thing.)

Guest gizmo666

"We've got to get to that Premier League," he continued. "I've said before that I wouldn't be anywhere where I didn't feel there was progress being made. "

"Obviously no one enjoyed the feeling of losing that [play-off] final, but we realised that this club had moved that far forward probably earlier than most people would have expected - other than us."

Just worth quoting due to the feel-good factor of this. What is great here is on this forum from time to time we get the GJ will go soon thread. What's wonderful about this quote is the fact that for him taking Bristol City to the Premier League is his goal. I think we can talk about losing him after that. (In hindsight if we had gone up this year and come straight back down... Then we may have had something to worry about in terms of losing GJ).

On SSN talking about the appointment of Scolari.

he was talking about Chelsea announcing the appointment of Scolari and said that Chelsea might sack him if he doesn't win the European Championship with Portugal(to which he allowed himself a self congratulatory chuckle)

Guest Dubai Red

From

BBC 606 Blog by David McIntrye

My man of the man was Damien Delaney, who I thought played very well at left-back. As always I'd be interested to read your views. And I did laugh at City manager Gary Johnson's response when he was asked if striker John Akinde's presence in the stands wearing a City tracksuit means he has been signed from Ebbsfleet United. "No, it means he's nicked one of our tracksuits," Johnson replied.

Guest Dubai Red

Yet another great one on John Akinde signing.......

"Unless our administration team and John's have a fight in the car park, he's a City player now," joked Johnson. "He's quick, strong and has a lot of potential."

from when talking about the cardiff game and when he got sent to the stands last season "It's hard being in an away dug-out these days.If you've got the wrong shoes on, or your bald, or short, then you've got thousands of people quick to tell you. You very quickly get a complex. I didn't know I was short and bald before I took up management!"

GJ on parenting (after Donny home match and talking about Nicky Maynard)

Johnson whispered encouragement in Maynard's ear after substituting him and later revealed: "They were very different words to those I used to him after the Birmingham game.

"It's a bit like when you have young kids and they run out into the road. The shock makes you hit them, but then you feel sorry for them and buy them a bike. Well, I hit him last week and I bought him a bike today."

Following last seasons goal scored by Liam at Wolves the press asked GJ about his infamous comment regarding baring his backside in Burtons window, and linked it to the recent opening of Cabots Circus.

GJ replied with "I visited Cabots Circus for the VIP opening, and it looked very nice. I'll bare my backside in House of Fraser has a good ring to it doesnt it? Its a very big window for a big...."

He then quickly left the press conference.

:D

Guest Bristoliain

In reference to Dele's bandage on Saturday's game vs Saints.

"If there was ever a black pope he would look like Dele"

*looks to press officer*

"Can I say that"

*press officer shakes his head*

"Oh you'd better leave that out then"

GJ about Clough and Forest.

"I was there as a young lad. Brian Clough only spoke once to me. He said "I'm getting rid of you".

It was a real eye-opener.

(OOPS THOUGHT THIS WAS HEADED FOR THE GJ QUOTE THREAD - MODS CAN YOU MOVE IT OVER PLEASE?)

Edited by southvillekiddy

GJ about Clough and Forest.

"I was there as a young lad. Brian Clough only spoke once to me. He said "I'm getting rid of you".

:rofl2br:

For some reason it reminds me of Tommy Docherty (the manager) who said that 'Boumsong has been compared to Dave Mackay. I don't remember Mackay being crap'

Guest Jumpers4Goalposts

Following City's 0-0 draw with Porstmuff at Fratton Park when injuries / possible transfer issues caused Johnson to only name 6 of a possible 7 subs.

"I wanted to put myself on the bench for the seventh player but Keith Millen wouldn't let me!"

Guest charisma_cider

In reference to the chance of a penalty shootout against Pompey tonight

"Players need to see David James as 5'2" not 7'2" in the goal when they're taking a penalty. That takes good imagination as well, so I'll be picking the five who have got good imaginations."

Guest Jumpers4Goalposts

In reference to the two poor decisions against Pompey in the FA Cup where Crouch handled the ball before scoring and we should have had a penalty for Elliot having his shirt pulled.

"I'll just go home and kick the cat. Oh, by the way, the cat's name is 'referee'!"

2-0 loss but hold your head up high boys cos that score line flatters Pompey big time!

The multilingual Costa Rica international, just signed from Swiss team FC Sion, robbed keeper Keiron Westwood but, from a tight angle, shot into the side netting.

Johnson said: "By the time Alvaro had translated his thoughts from Costa Rican to Portuguese to Spanish to English, the angle was too tight.

"He speaks French as well - so I'm going to tell him how well he has done in five languages."

Made me laugh anyway!