IGNORED

Caskey

Dave L

Presumably Danny didn't sign Darren Caskey to watch from the stands, and he's been talking him up this week, so where do you think he will play?

Presuming that Scott Murray is a shoe-in on the right, I have to assume that Darren has been pencilled in for one of the two central midfield slots - either to start or to come on as an influential sub.

If Caskey does well, then it looks as if Brian Tinnion or Luke Wilkshire will be doing a fair amount of bench-warming during the run in.

Wasn't he the first of our transfer deadline players to be secured, so maybe the Murray deal wasn't certain at the time , so Caskey better than no one?

Also Tins seems to be clocking up the bookings at the moment, so cover for him? Especially with the playoffs looking more likely than auto at the moment. I can see Tins being subbed for Caskey or the other way round, which may get the best out of both of them?

I would have no problem with Tins taking a back seat for a couple of weeks anyway, he could do with a bit of a rest.

Assuming that Tommy is going to be fit for the run-in, I would guess that it would then be a straight fight between Wilkshire and Caskey and having not seen the pie man play for a while, I would have to stick with Wilkshire for now and the let Caskey come on as sub and show what he can do for a couple of games.

If Tommy isn't fit, then that would leave Wilkshire and Caskey to run the show but would there be enough competitivness in the middle of the park with those two in there??

That was a title for one of my postings and, having given it some thought,you could try this

..............................................Phillips.............................................................

....................Coles..................Fortune.....................Hill........................

..............................................Doherty......................................................

.............Murray...............................................................Tinnion...............

.................................................Caskey.....................................................

...............................Rougier.............................Peacock..................................

The old diamond formation.

Going forward, I wouldn't have an issue, but defending could be interesting.Having saod that, we're not exactly water tight lately with a flat back four.

That's one of the few ways I could see Caskey & Tins in the same midfield as neither are effective wide.

Caskey, Doherty & Tinman with two wide players, is still a bit......hang on, a lot slow and not excactly "box to box!"

One advanatage is that all of the above CAN pass and Caskey is what we've lacked since MB & BT's legs went, a dead ball expert and that's dead handy.

I think Caskey may well come in for Tinnion of if TD's injured.

That was a title for one of my postings and, having given it some thought,you could try this

..............................................Phillips.............................................................

....................Coles..................Fortune.....................Hill........................

..............................................Doherty......................................................

.............Murray...............................................................Tinnion...............

.................................................Caskey.....................................................

...............................Rougier.............................Peacock..................................

The old diamond formation.

Going forward, I wouldn't have an issue, but defending could be interesting.Having saod that, we're not exactly water tight lately with a flat back four.

That's one of the few ways I could see Caskey & Tins in the same midfield as neither are effective wide.

Caskey, Doherty & Tinman with two wide players, is still a bit......hang on, a lot slow and not excactly "box to box!"

One advanatage is that all of the above CAN pass and Caskey is what we've lacked since MB & BT's legs went, a dead ball expert and that's dead handy.

I think Caskey may well come in for Tinnion of if TD's injured.

Why not give the opposition more of a chance!!

WE ONLY HAVE 10 PLAYERS IN YOUR LINE-UP!! :dunno::laugh::dunno::laugh:

Caskey, Where will he fit in?

Very good question, Dave.

I think he should be able to fit through the main gate and get into the car park behind the Atyeo. But Wilson must be having doubts about fitting him through the changing room door, let alone actaully get him out the tunnel and onto the pitch.

Why not give the opposition more of a chance!!

WE ONLY HAVE 10 PLAYERS IN YOUR LINE-UP!!  :dunno:  :laugh:  :dunno:  :laugh:

Sorry old chap, well spotted and a mars bar's on it's way to you! :o

Should read:4-1-2-1-2 =10+ Phillips = 11 :o

..........................................Phillips................................................................

Carey..........................Coles.........................Fortune....................Hill.............

...........................................Doherty........................................................

...............Murray.........................................Tinnion....................................

.........................................Caskey........................................................

..........................Rougier............................Peacock...................................

Looks even better!!

Subs

Wilkshire

Miller

Lita

Burnell

Goodfellow

Guest graham b
Presumably Danny didn't sign Darren Caskey to watch from the stands, and he's been talking him up this week, so where do you think he will play?

Presuming that Scott Murray is a shoe-in on the right, I have to assume that Darren has been pencilled in for one of the two central midfield slots - either to start or to come on as an influential sub.

If Caskey does well, then it looks as if Brian Tinnion or Luke Wilkshire will be doing a fair amount of bench-warming during the run in.

Dave

I think the acquisitions on deadline day were to ensure we had the depth of squad to see us through to promotion (automatic or play-offs) The lack of depth or cover came to the fore in Tranmere when through injury, long and short term we were forced to have a person suffering from food poisoning on the bench.

However whereas the three have deepened our squad and added experience for our absolute crunch games, they have also added a possibility of players being upset at being sidelined.

Whether the addition of Caskey in midfield and Rougier upfront will have a positive or negative effect on the squad is dependent upon the way the manager is going to play it.

I have rated both Caskey (up to 2002) and Rougier highly in their careers. Both have a lot to prove if they are to get contracts next year and thus could both prove to be assets in the run in. However will Tinnion, Wilkshire, Roberts, Miller and Lita be demotivated if they are benched or dropped for the run in.

Danny now has a different managerial problem to the one he had last Wednesday. Hopefully he can motivate the squad collectively well for our last 7 (9 or 10) games. His selections and substitutions last Saturday do not fill me confidence though.

Sorry old chap, well spotted and a mars bar's on it's way to you! :laugh:

Should read:4-1-2-1-2 =10+ Phillips = 11 :dunno:

..........................................Phillips................................................................

Carey..........................Coles.........................Fortune....................Hill.............

...........................................Doherty........................................................

...............Murray.........................................Tinnion....................................

.........................................Caskey........................................................

..........................Rougier............................Peacock...................................

Looks even better!!

Subs

Wilkshire

Miller

Lita

Burnell

Goodfellow

I just feel with that line-up, against a standard 4-4-2 formation, we will get over-run in the centre of midfield with Murray and Tinnion playing wide as well.

Caskey hardly seems fit at the best of times, so expecting him to come back and help out in that department may last for about the 1st 30 seconds of the game and then that would be the end of him.

I do like the idea of playing Doherty just in front of the defence but I think I would prefer this :-

--------------------------------------Phillips----------------------------------------------

-------------Carey------------------Coles--------------------------------Hill------------

------------------------------------Doherty--------------------------------------------

Murray----------------Wilkshire-----------Caskey--------------------Goodfellow

------------------------Peacock-------------Miller-------------------------------------

Subs:-

Tinnion

Butler

Rougier

Lita

Burnell

This would give us pace down both flanks with natural sided players playing on the correct side, so, should this should mean more chance of getting crosses in from wide positions.

The 2 play-makers in the centre of midfield should then have options of where to play the ball (left, right or forward), knowing that they will have an outlet.

The defence would be tighter and with both Hill and Carey being able to play full-back or centre half, their positional sense should suit the 3 at the back.

Doherty would simply be in there to break up the play and give the easy pass and give us that extra body in the midfield to stop team playing against us.

Guest XrAnGeX
I do like the idea of playing Doherty just in front of the defence but I think I would prefer this :-

--------------------------------------Phillips----------------------------------------------

-------------Carey------------------Coles--------------------------------Hill------------

------------------------------------Doherty--------------------------------------------

Murray----------------Wilkshire-----------Caskey--------------------Goodfellow

------------------------Peacock-------------Miller-------------------------------------

Subs:-

Tinnion

Butler

Rougier

Lita

Burnell

Nice.... Would be my preferred formation too.

Guest XrAnGeX

Very good question, Dave.

I think he should be able to fit through the main gate and get into the car park behind the Atyeo. But Wilson must be having doubts about fitting him through the changing room door, let alone actaully get him out the tunnel and onto the pitch.

I looked at the title of the post and just knew that someone would post a cheeky comment :P

Was going to do the same.... :laugh:

The lack of depth or cover came to the fore in Tranmere when through injury, long and short term we were forced to have a person suffering from food poisoning on the bench.

Yes, I'm sure that Wilson felt we needed a stronger bench and, with the acquisition of Caskey, we will certainly need one.

Guest WillsbridgeRed

I hope Wilson doesn't try anything too complicated to fit Caskey into the side. The players have trouble remembering how to defend from set peices, let alone trying to play in a new system.

Presumably Danny didn't sign Darren Caskey to watch from the stands

What makes you say that?

Cast your mind back twelve months, to the inspired signing of Tony Hey:

Danny Wilson said: "Tony is a very experienced player, who can fill several positions so he will be a handy addition to the squad.

"He has kept himself very fit and looks very much the player we remembered from his spell with Birmingham in 1997.

"Frank Barlow knows him well from that time and had been in touch with him long before he came and joined us for training.

"The first stage is to get him here for the rest of the season and we will take things from there."

Compare that with:

Danny Wilson said: "Darren is a player with terrific ability and the situation is clear. If he does well over our last five or six games the opportunity will be there to talk about extending his time with us.

"He starts off with a ban, but we knew all about that and it isn't an issue. It will give Darren time to work on his match fitness as he hasn't been playing regularly since it became clear he would be leaving Notts County.

"We needed cover in midfield and he will offer us another experienced option, which is important at this stage of the season."

I'm not saying he won't play, but I wouldn't take DW's talking up of Caskey as any sort of indication that he intends to play him, as it certainly wasn't the case with Mr. Hey.

Guest Mr Snufflelufagus

I tend to get the feeling that Caskey will start off like a house on fire as it figures hes playing for a contract/future but i think once its secured he will fall back into the mould and start going out on the p*** again.

Guest swindonite

Have you found him some shorts that fit him yet only we've probably got a spare pair of Ruddocks specially made XXXXXL ones kicking around you can have. :laugh:

Archived