IGNORED

F.a. Cup Memories

NATCHER

There must be a few memories of the F.A. Cup out there, here are a few of mine.

Beating Derby 6 2, drawing 4 each with Wrexham after being 2 0 up and 4 2 down, the win against Rovers at Eastville with Ritchie and Hurst the scorers. A nerve jangling 0 0 against Corithian Casuals at Dulwich Hamlet, and Tony Thorpes' last gasp equaliser against Kingstonian.

Please help my fading memory with your favourites.

With help from citystats, how could I forget

'74 Liverpool at home, with Toshack and Keegan,

'81 Forest away, one nil up with eight minutes left and Ian Wallace "breaks Citys' hearts", losing 2-1

'82 Villa at home, Gary Shaw scoring 0-1

'90 Chelsea at home, 3-1 win,fantastic

'90 Cambridge away, losing 5-1, knowing the winners would be at Arsenal, what a long journey home that was.

I remember going to Notts County, who were in the old 1st Division at the time, and being robbed of a giant killing scalp by a very dodgy referee (think his name was Norman Glover). Replay reffed by same bloke and again some dodgy decisions resulted in us losing. Remember it snowing in Nottingham and Tom Ritchie playing.

Guest WillsbridgeRed

Mays equaliser against Wimbledon infornt the East end

"we're going to score in a minute" chant against Liverpool

Beating Millwall 1-0

Guest Huddersfield Red

The home tie with Leeds in 1974 - I remember listening to the away tie on the radio and then staying up late to watch the highlights.

Losing 4-1 away at Orient in 1982 was my first time seeing City away.

3rd round Jan 73 at Pompey. In October we had won there 3-0 so took about 20 coach loads of fans down for the cup game. Trouble all round the ground before and during the game. Pompey took the lead and looked set for a win, surrounded by Pompey fans as City throw everything into a final minute attack. The word goes round, "If we score, don't cheer". Seconds to go and City equalise, "Yeeeesss"! We won the replay 4-1.

The following year, Hereford away in round 4. The pitch was flooded, but the ref played the game to avoid a riot. The 1-0 win was memorable for Ernie Hunt falling down and a great splash of water going in the air. Then came that game v Leeds followed by the quarter final @ AG v L'pool. Just after they scored, City attacked from the kick off and threatened, but the ref stoped play as a visiting fan was still celebrating on the pitch.

During the Div 1 days, that game v Wrexham; 2-0 up, 4-2 down and ended 4-4.

Into Div 4 and 0-0 v the mighty Corinthian Casuals. Plenty of Millwall fans turned up at that game to renew their acquaintance with us. Still in Div 4 and away to Div 3 gas @ Easyville. 1-0 down at half time, Ritchie equalised and then part timer Martyn Hirst scoring with seconds to go. A great result, but the clubs hoped for a money spinning replay as they both needed the cash. Scaring Div 1 Notts Co twice when we were in Div 3.

In more recent years, winning at Wimbledon after drawing at the Gate. I think the Dons played 6-0-4 formation that day! Getting to round 5 in the 1990 promo season, winning at L'pool with the best AG goal for many years deleted as it was in the abandoned game. Going to round 5 and playing Charlton twice with Man U waiting for the winners. Having to look up where Heybridge was and finally wondering how many we'd hit v Harrowgate.

'90 Cambridge away, losing 5-1, knowing the winners would be at Arsenal, what a long journey home that was.

Think you're wrong there, it was a 5th round tie and the winners got Crystal Palace at home in the quarters which Cambridge lost 1-0(Geoff Thomas), Palace of course got to the final.

Ones that stick in my mind are

Liverpool (93) home, home replay and away

Mansfield, when Taylor got sent off.

Millwall as we were right next to the Millwall fans when it kicked off.

Heybridge Swifts and Harrogate as the non legue game sare brilliant

Oh and Kingstonian

My first ever City game was at tender age of 4 at home to wimbledon in F.A. Cup 90/91 (1-1). I can remember us equalising and being scared but interested by the noise!

THAT GAME at Anfield in 1994. Unbeatable as any City game I've experienced, we need more nights like that.

I couldn't go to the Kingstonian home game for some reason but I can remember my Dad ringing me, going mental after Thorpe equalised - I was on a bus at the time - got some strange looks as I found out - I went a bit mental as I thought we'd lost the game!

I remember the Leicester away game the same season when we lost 3-0 but played pretty well. I enjoyed giving Savage some stick that day!! :Cool13:

A pretty shocking memory was when we lost 0-1 at home to Leyton Orient a couple of years back. The footy was almost as bad as it is at the moment :P

I was at most, if not all the famous games mentioned above, so just to add:

Leeds v. City, 74. During the power cuts & 3 the day week, so played Wednesday afternoon. Went up the day before to stay with my brother in Liverpool and caught train to Leeds next day. My first really big away match, 47,000 crowd. Got into the enclosure with most City fans in the "chicken run" to our right. Unbelievable City performance and incredible win only spoiled by the truly frightening Leeds crowd who piled into the City fans after the game. Word at the time was that not many who went avoided a punch or a kicking, luckily we did. Got back to Bristol in time to watch it again on the box, still unable to believe we'd just beaten the best team in the League, 29 games unbeaten or something, away from home. National acclaim for City and well deserved.

Liverpool, next round: big let down after Leeds because we really thought City could do it. Apart from Toshack's goal and the feeling of being in a massive crowd at Ashton Gate, my main memory is of the Liverpool fans after the game. Coming past the Grandstand from the East End, a group of City fans in the trudging and packed departing fans were singing "We are the East End, Ashton Gate etc" when suddenly the crowd parted in front of us as a big mob of Liverpool thugs charged round the corner at the singers. Somehow one City fan got isolated in the melee and a few feet away from us about 15 Scouse thugs were viciously kicking him on the ground. No one could help him as the police had quickly surrounded the incident with the mobile dividing barriers that used to be kept by the Grandstand. Sorry about the amount of violence on this post but that's how it was in those days and this horriffic incident (i was only a young teenager) made me see through forever the media led fantastic reputation the "Kop" had at the time.

Wrexham: the 4-4 draw has been well documented above but i was one of the few hundred fools who braved the replay. Only a couple of weeks earlier we had travelled there to see City lose in the league, now we were back for vengeance! Horrible rain soaked night, freezing cold on the open terrace and City lost 3-0! Bad enough for us, but i felt sorry for a couple of drenched City fans who had hitch-hiked up and were going around everyone pleading for a lift home. Last we saw, there were no takers so God knows what happened to them. Other thing i remember was Dai Davies was the Wrexham keeper and when he was down our end in the 2nd half a group of City fans went down to the fence to shout "Die Davies , Die!", for about quarter of an hour. Not very funny, but on a disasterous night like that it's the sort of thing that sticks in your mind.

And yes, i was at Corinthian Casuals when Millwall came in - i could hardly believe it when a nasty looking mob assembled in the unpartitioned End next to our side and then charged towards us. My uncle had played for Corinthian Casuals just after the war and he'd always told me what a special, friendly club they were with the "Corinthian Spirit". Shame the infiltrators in their crowd that day didn't share it!

Game finished 0-0 (when we were hoping for 6), but at least City won the replay.

Here's hoping for some more great (?!) F.A.Cup memories starting on Sunday! :D

City 3 Chelsea 1, Super Bob and Robbie Turner were magnificent. :D

The most frustrating games were both against Everton when we lost 1-0 both times after dominating for most of the matches, the chief missing an absoloute sitter in front of the Atyeo from six yards. :Rage:

Winning 2-1 (i think) at Leicester when Jackie turned in a world class performance. "we've got a polish international" :)

And i just about recall, due to a few glasses of ale, a night out at Anfield the day before my birthday on the 25th January when Sir Brian slotted one in, in front of "The KOP". :Party12:

A certain ex Spurs Captain helped me get two tickets for the final v Coventry where I was living at the time, a rugby team mate and Cov fan came with me, very grateful.

The certain ex captain scored the winning own goal and my mate bought me a shed load of drinks and a curry in his honour.

Felt so sorry for Mabs though.

2nd post on this thread;

Another memory has come back. When City started their downward plummet, Tom Ritchie in (what we thought would be) his last game for us before transferring to Sunderland. He played his heart out and scored twice in a 5-0 replay win v Carlisle. A few years later he rejoined City, from Carlisle where he had gone from S'land.

It was before I became a supporter, but aparantly we scared Spurs in 67 or 68 and missed a couple of easy chances. Any older forum users recall that one please? Either a year before or after that was the battle of Elland Road where the Leeds players thought our players ought to see the inside of the local Casualty Unit.

For me at Anfield in '93.Bloody freezing cold and stoned :D .But what a game.

City 3-1 Chelsea in 90

The usual games versus non-league.

And one particular game that stands out where we lost at home versus Torquay in '86 I think.

Their keeper was about 6 foot 6 and looked 50 years old.What a nightmare that game was.

Archived