IGNORED

Alan Dicks

Guest andy234

Guest andy234

I see on the main site Alan Dicks will be at the gate tomorrow and making an appearance at half time, just wondered what age he would be now, must be in his late 60s. :city:

in his early 70's....... glad they have mentioned it on the website, doesn't come back to the gate very often, but hopefully the more people that know about it, the more likely he is to get a better reception,

if people are expecting him out they will be ready to give him the ovation he deserves

If Alan Dicks doesn't get a standing ovation then there is no justice!

I will certainly be on my feet when he is introduced (if I can stand up after tonights festivities!).

I started following City during his reign and will never forget the joy he gave people that night against Pompey!

Thanks Dicksy!!

Alan dicks will go down in history as one of Bristol citys best managers but like GJ he had a shakey start

to his BCFC days, if it was not for a good cup run and beating leeds 1-0 in the cup he could well have

lost his job before he got city to the top flight, the board stuck with him though and he thanked them

with promotion.

Name: Alan Dicks

Date of Birth: 29th August 1934

Alan Dicks (born 29 August 1934) is a retired English footballer and football manager. He managed Bristol City for thirteen years and managed clubs in five countries on three continents.

Born in London, he signed for Chelsea at the age of 17, though his playing time in the first team was limited to 35 matches in six years, and he played only one game in Chelsea's 1954-55 championship season. In 1958 he moved to Southend United, and in 1962 joined Coventry City as a player-coach under Jimmy Hill.

In 1967 Hill recommended him for the vacant manager's job at Bristol City. He took the job at the age of just 33, and held it for thirteen years. In that time he consolidated City's position in the Second Division, and eventually, in 1976, led them to promotion to the First Division - then English football's top flight. Dicks remained as manager throughout City's four-year stay in Division 1, but relegation and a poor start to the following season saw him leave in October 1980.

During the 1980s, Dicks managed clubs in Greece, Cyprus and Qatar (where he won the championship with Al Rayyan Sports Club).

He managed Fulham Football Club for one season in the early 1990s. The players considered him as being too lax, and in Simon Morgan's autobiography he claimed that his brothers (Morgans' not Dicks') went to Craven Cottage during his reign just to join in the amusing chants off 'Dicks Out'. (Also a favourite theme at the clubs managed by Arthur Cox).

After leaving Fulham he moved to the United States and subsequently became head coach of Carolina Dynamo and then Charleston Battery in the A-League. He has now retired and returned to Bristol.

I see on the main site Alan Dicks will be at the gate tomorrow and making an appearance at half time, just wondered what age he would be now, must be in his late 60s. :city:

Alan Dicks is by far the best manager BRISTOL CITY have had in my time watching,personally hope everybody gives the guy a standing ovation tomorrow.

Gary Johnson could follow Dicks to the promised land with city.

The best managers by a mile city have had on the pitch tomorrow.

Alan Dicks name will live with me forever as will that great team that got us "there" I hope many on here who didnt exp that will do soon.

Last seasons heroics and my games watched from the E.E came a close second, but those were the days my friends. :travolta:

Alas the E.E is now deemed off limits to normal p.o.d fans so I shall not be there to see the legend :(

Alan Dicks is a legend :clap::clap::clap::city:

From Clive Whitehead's 2nd minute winner against Portsmouth to our relegation four years later we had top flight football at Ashton Gate...Alan Dicks a real LEGEND of this club

Remember Dreams can and have come true

Happy New Year

Whilst I know the vast majority of forum users will not have a clue about Alan Dicks, were maybe born after the late 70's I do hope you give him the warmest of welcomes tomorrow. There are similarities bettween Dicks and GJ, and whilst football is a different game now, he created a very strong team ethic, and a hard working team at that. It went horribly wrong, and he was not the onloy person to blame for that, but he did get us in the top flight, and gave many of my generation somne magical football memories, none better that watching us beat the Liverpool side of the day, the Euro champions, in a crowd of over 38,000. Come back those fans, it is good now. GJ will, and I cannot say when, replicate that success, and take us back to the top flight, and I believe, over time, keep us there. But for now AD is the best we have in living memory.

So a big one one for Big Alan please

Glad to see a lot of posts along these lines. The timing of AD's appearance couldn't be much better. If he gets the reception I think he deserves there will be a tear in my eye and my better half stood beside me will be able to laugh at me.

Of course, it well help if we are a goal or two up by half time. :winner_third_h4h:

A TRUE CITY GREAT,this man and Harry Dolman brought City into the bigtime only people who were there can ever appreciate what a remarkable feat they achieved. So glad he got the reception he so richly deserved, didn't seem all those years ago that they were all gathered in the directors box celebrating my best ever Ashton Gate memory. Thank you Alan

Archived